Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,969   Posts: 1,558,532   Online: 1043

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Images
    RJS, I have recently taken data on the V54 versus time and temperature. It is very interesting and it explains why one can get consistant prints if one is having a lucky day. I need to get this data posted here.

Your exposure times are similar to mine with the V54, too. I had the VCL8100 for a bit and it was about 3 stops slower. More than I could tolerate. I find the filters quick and easy. Even though they are cheap, they are optically pure, just like a gel. I have never found any degradation in the print. If I did, I'd move it between the negavite and the light source and use the even cheaper lighting gels.
    Watch for Loose Gravel

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SusanK View Post
    A little more info: Presently, I have an Oriental Seagull (I think?) cold light head on my Besseler MXT. It's black with illuminated green buttons, if that helps to recognize it.
    It is most likely the ZBE VC head. If so you already have the best VC head made [with the exception of the ZBE Starlight head]. Flickering is usually an indication of worn-out tubes. Tubes for the head were available from Aristo at some ridiculous price -- I have always wondered how well the local neon-sign shop could do at making replacement CL lamps -- you may want to give them a buzz.

The ZBE is a closed loop head and provides very steady light output, far better that you will be able to manage with a compensating timer and an Aristo XXX head.

ZVI makes an LED VC head that should rival the ZBE for only $2K.

My recomendation is to get the head working and spend the money on a printing workshop. Workshops have improved my work far, far more than any peice of equipment I ever bought.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Lindan View Post

The ZBE is a closed loop head and provides very steady light output, far better that you will be able to manage with a compensating timer and an Aristo XXX head.
    If the ZBE head provides a steady light output, it does so at the expense of maximum light intensity. Not necessarily a bad thing, but a different approach than a compensating timer. However, to indicate that this provides a more accurate exposure would be false. I cannot speak to the RH, but the MetroLux exposures are near perfect in all the tests I've done, even compensating for turn on and turn off light.

The ZBE head is a fine tool, and if you can get it working it will serve you well. However, there have been postings that suggest ZBE no longer services this and other older products. Something to factor into the equation. Maybe a call to ZBE would be in order.
    Watch for Loose Gravel

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Loose Gravel View Post
    SusanK

Beware that even so, you will need to split print as the Vario cannot control both tubes, blue and green, at the same time. Under ideal conditions you will have good exposures, but the blue and green do drift independently.
    We recommend that the Vario's sensor be installed in such a way that it does see both tubes, but you are correct that if the tubes drift independently then that cannot be compensated for. However, that will affect contrast mainly - the overall amount of light delivered to the paper should remain constant. I would agree that split printing is probably the optimum way to go, but I have personally never printed with this type of light source, preferring a dichroic diffusion enlarger.
    Regards,
    Richard.

RH Designs - My Photography

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I just went to the ZBE website... I don't think that's what I have. At least, mine looks nothing like the image of their VC head. I'll get a photo of my enlarger and post it here in the next couple of days.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have an Aristo/Zone VI head that currently utilizes a Y40 correction filter and will be upgraded to a V54 lamp. I am saving up for the Stopclock Pro since my conversations with Richard clarified for me that as long as I continue to use the probe and Zone VI stabilizer, I can take full advantage of all the Pro's features and am not limited to the Vario.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Oooops, found it.... it's a "ZBE VC-CLS". Which was replaced by the Starlight head. Found a company in Canada who works on them but, am not sure if light tubes are still made for them. If the .gif that I attached works, I'm including a photo of it.

Where do I find info on a ZVI LED vc light source ?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG00168.gif  

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SusanK View Post
    Where do I find info on a ZVI LED vc light source ?
    Hi Susan, here it is;

http://www.calumetphoto.com/item/EN6400.html

...but beware...their marketing people really know how to 'talk up' a product.

Murray

Shooter
    Medium Format
    What kind of timer does one put w/ the ZVI LED vc light source? And, I think I'd need a "head adapter" for this light source to fit my Besseler MXT. The chasis where the head sits is round, rather than square.

I know that my equipment was well used prior to me receiving it. Wouldn't surprise me if it'd be more cost effective to purchase something like the ZVI, rather than try to have my current head fixed/tuned/checked over and light tubes replaced (if they're even made anymore).
    Last edited by SusanK; 12-07-2006 at 09:35 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Any timer should work with the Zone VI LED head. I am not aware of any commercially manufactured adapter to fit it to the Beseler, but an adapter should be very easy to make.

The Zone VI LED head was in the prototype stage for years, and I was not aware that Calumet had put it in production. I would want to see some independent evaluation reports from other users before I invested in this head. Does anyone on APUG have one?

If you would go the split-filtering route, you could use a white LED light, much like the conversion listed here
    —Eric

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin