Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,012   Posts: 1,524,700   Online: 838

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Question about print size

I recently managed to get my months of apparently random purchases together into something resembling a darkroom. With an LPL 7700 pro enlarger and a nice El-Nikkor 50mm 2.8 lens, which I got from a very helpful APUGer, I set up with trays and a safe light and everything in my bathroom. I managed to make my first few prints. Being pretty new at this and of course making some mistakes - Times I've put paper under the enlarger without turning the lamp off after focusing: 3. So, I have some questions.
    The LPL 7700 Pro is made to suit 35mm up to 6x7, which is pretty useful because I have a 6x6 camera. The glass universal negative carrier's been easy to handle, but after attaching the 50mm lens the size I can enlarge a 35mm negative to seems rather small. I've made sure the head is configured correctly, removing one of the condensor elements as the instructions suggest, and moving the lamp back further in the head.
    I move the head until I get the desired size, but focus only seems to exist up to around a standard 6x4" size. Moving the bellow so that the lens is further away from the negative only seems to make it more out of focus, and the best I can do is have the bellows contracted completey. I find myself stopping down the lens as far as it will go in an effort to get better sharpness, but my results so far just sort of...suck. Am I missing something, or is it just not possible to make larger prints with this specific enlarger?
    My guess was that since it was made to suit a wide size of formats, 35mm is limited, but I am a little dissapointed.
    The Analogue Laboratory, or 'so you built a darkroom in an old factory in the industrial zone'.
    Blog thing!.

Worry less. Photograph more.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I just checked the LPL 7700 colour enlarger in my darkroom.

Have you reversed the lens mounting flange?

On the R/H side of the lens mount holder, you'll see a small knurled screw that allows you to remove the lens mount holder. This is the thing that the lens itself screws into. Be careful if you undo this with a lens in place, it just drops out.

If you have it recessed, that is correct for a 50mm lens. In this position you will find that you have to look up almost inside to view the f number.

If you have it in the convex position, then that position is for the longer focal length lenses the other formats use.

In short you have to ensure that the lens is extremely close to the negative, to allow focus.

I'm sure it's a simple thing, you will enjoy the LPL 7700 as it's an excellent enlarger, for 35mm through to 6x7.

Mick.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hah! That lovely feeling you get when things work. I just ran and checked it again, and it was the wrong way around. I flipped it over, re-attached the lens and it's sharp as anything. Now I kinda wish I hadnt used all my fixer last night, but thank you very much. I probably wouldnt have figured that one out on my own for a good few months.
    The Analogue Laboratory, or 'so you built a darkroom in an old factory in the industrial zone'.
    Blog thing!.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    That's the beauty of APUG!
    "While you're out there smashing the state, don't forget to keep a smile on your lips and a song in your heart!"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Happy that you have sorted out the focusing problem, but tell me, how do you run out of fixer so quickly?

I usually count off the number of prints that have gone through the fixer and you really do require a fair amount of paper to go through each litre of fixer to run it out.

Almost all suppliers of photographic solutions give instructions about how many square metres of paper or film, can go through various solutions. Some give the information in square metres, others give it in the number of sheets per litre.

Are you dropping the fixer bath before it should, or can be dropped?

Mick.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I used most of my fixer developing film, so I only had 100ml of it left in the bottle when I got to it to make prints last night. I got it up to 1 liter by over-diluting it and fixing for longer - usually I use fixer about 3 times over when I'm developing film, but wasnt that sure what to do with paper. After 14 prints in 2 hours it had turned sort of murky, so I just dumped it. To be honest I didnt think to read the bottle at the time
    Blog thing!.

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleath View Post
    I got it up to 1 liter by over-diluting it and fixing for longer
    This is a technique you can cross off your list. It doesn't work very well. Stick to the manufacturers dilution and times for RC paper. FB is a another matter, but we cross that bridge when we get to it.

Happy to see your other frustration gone. Good luck to you.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleath View Post
    I used most of my fixer developing film, so I only had 100ml of it left in the bottle when I got to it to make prints last night. I got it up to 1 liter by over-diluting it and fixing for longer - usually I use fixer about 3 times over when I'm developing film, but wasnt that sure what to do with paper. After 14 prints in 2 hours it had turned sort of murky, so I just dumped it. To be honest I didnt think to read the bottle at the time
    Which fixer? Most rapid fixer instructions seem to say dilute 1+9 for paper anyway (though I follow Ilford's sequence and mix it at film strength).

The fixer instructions usually say how many 8x10s it will fix: just put a bit of masking tape on the bottle of working strength fixer and write the number of 8x10 (or equivalents) used on the tape as you go along. I use a film clearing time test (for the paper too) and the Tetenal silver & ph test strips for a belt-and-braces approach... I also keep used film and paper fixer separate.

If your fixer is going murky after 17 prints, you may have carry-over from developer. If you are not using an acid stop-bath, you may want to reconsider (unless you are using an alkaline fixer of course).

Have fun, Bob.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob F. View Post
    Which fixer? Most rapid fixer instructions seem to say dilute 1+9 for paper anyway (though I follow Ilford's sequence and mix it at film strength).

The fixer instructions usually say how many 8x10s it will fix: just put a bit of masking tape on the bottle of working strength fixer and write the number of 8x10 (or equivalents) used on the tape as you go along. I use a film clearing time test (for the paper too) and the Tetenal silver & ph test strips for a belt-and-braces approach... I also keep used film and paper fixer separate.

If your fixer is going murky after 17 prints, you may have carry-over from developer. If you are not using an acid stop-bath, you may want to reconsider (unless you are using an alkaline fixer of course).

Have fun, Bob.
    I'm using Tetenal Superfix, which says to dilute 1+4, and reading the label apparently has a capacity of 4 square meters of RC Paper and 18 rolls of film (36ex) - I'll keep a better record of my usage, thanks. I'll probably try another brand of fixer since I actually had to order this from interstate when I got my other gear...I used a citric acid stop bath in betwene developer and fixer, but there's a chance I didnt leave it in for long enough. I'll check out what chemicals are available locally and keep an eye on their dilutions and capacities. And actually follow their directions
    Blog thing!.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I typically use the same fixer for both film and paper, but mix for two different containers. My reasoning is that I want "clean" fixer for film, because the emulsion has a nasty habit of picking up dust or impurities in water, developer or fixer. Since paper doesn't attract dirt like film does, I use a different batch for my paper needs. Typically, the film fixer lasts longer than the paper fixer... Best, tim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin