Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,999   Posts: 1,524,315   Online: 878

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images

I just got my new Azo Enlarging lamp

I just the azo lamp for the beseler enlarger. I also just won a beseler enlarger on e-bay and am waiting for it to be shipped. How have the people who have bought it doing with it at this point. And has anyone used it to expose Pt/Pl?

Just wondering
    Michael Andersen
    "Capturing an image is only one step of the long chain of events to create a beautiful Photograph” See my updated website: mandersenphotography.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by michael9793 View Post
    I just the azo lamp for the beseler enlarger......
    I'm confused..... Are you saying there is a lamp for the Beseler enlarger that will enlarge a negative onto AZO? Please give me some background information....
    —Eric

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I think that he means he is using the enlarger to project light onto the paper. Enlarging a negative onto AZO would take forever...

- Randy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by reellis67 View Post
    I think that he means he is using the enlarger to project light onto the paper. Enlarging a negative onto AZO would take forever...

- Randy
    No, there is actually a manufacturer who designs lamps for enlarging a smaller format negative onto Azo paper. There is an enlarging forum on Michael Smith's website with more info.
    RL Foley

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    That's a hell of a thing!

- R

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Fantastic! Now you can sit around and twiddle your thumbs until the new AZO is released! Unless you pick up a few boxes of Ebay or somewhere of course.

That light source would not make it possible to enlarge on platinum. Sorry.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I assume that this is the lamp that Pat Brady developed several years ago. It is a lamp that emits heavily in the UVA band and is designed for the Bessler and Omega enlargers. I imagine that there are not a lot of people ordering those now. They were fairly expensive when first released.

Sofar as using it for printing Pt-Pd it is probably not useful for that purpose. While Pt-Pd are exposed with UVA, that process is much less sensitive then Azo.

The best Pt-Pd enlarger would be the enlarger that Jensen Optical designed specifically for that purpose.
    Art is a step from what is obvious and well-known toward what is arcane and concealed.

Visit my website at http://www.donaldmillerphotography.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald Miller View Post
    I assume that this is the lamp that Pat Brady developed several years ago. It is a lamp that emits heavily in the UVA band and is designed for the Bessler and Omega enlargers.....
    Yes, I do remember reading about that on the Michael and Paula site. But I've never read any feedback from users. Does anyone know of any users?

Quote Originally Posted by Donald Miller View Post
    .....The best Pt-Pd enlarger would be the enlarger that Jensen Optical designed specifically for that purpose.
    Several years ago Jens was advertising this. I believe it was a 5000w lamp. But as above, I've never seen any feedback from users.
    —Eric

Shooter
    Large Format
    I had the opportunity to purchase a used "The Cold One" AZO enlarging head this past spring. I was using my Zone VI cold light for contact printing. When I was using Tri-X developed in HC-110 my contact printing times were about 45 seconds. Not too bad, but when I switched to Tmax 400 developed in Pyrocat the times increased to 120 seconds. Waaaaaaay too long. With the AZO head my standard 8x10 and 7x17 contact printing times are now 12 seconds, but rather than have the head as close to the paper as possible, I now have the AZO head near the top of the enlarger.

I haven't tried to enlarge with the AZO head yet. From what I have read, you will need Nikon enlarging lenses in order to enlarge. Something about the other lenses not passing ultraviolet light. I have acquired the Nikon lenses, just haven't tried to enlarge yet. I guess I like the flexability of using a VC head for my 4x5 and smaller negatives. I can't seem to part with my valuable AZO when another combination of materials will do the trick. And besides, my smaller negatives were not developed to take advantage of Azo's extended scale.

Ryan mentioned that you can't enlarge on Platimum with this head, but is it possible to contact print on platinum with this head?

Since I acquired my AZO head used, I don't have the original instructions. If you have those could you please post a pdf of them?

To the best of my knowledge there are only about 10 of these heads on the planet. Count yourself lucky. I know I do.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by jgjbowen View Post
    Ryan mentioned that you can't enlarge on Platimum with this head, but is it possible to contact print on platinum with this head?
    It may be possible, but the exposure times would likely be unbearably long, and you would be better served putting the time on a brighter, cheaper, and more readily replaced light source. Pt/pd is something like a hundred times less sensitive than silver.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin