Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,688   Posts: 1,482,360   Online: 769

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Stanworth View Post
    I have a photon beard 2 blade and love it.
    I'll second that. It's worth noting that if you get a Beard 2-blade 16x12 model, you'll still be able to use 16x20 paper, albeit with a rather fetching 2 inch border.
    Norman is an island.Time and tide wait for Norman.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images

Quadro

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Miller View Post
    Following my earlier post I notice that the Secondhand Darkroom have a plethora of 4 blade easels in stock: :o

http://www.secondhanddarkroom.co.uk/...?p=2&cat=16408
    Dave, yes, I noticed that Secondhand Darkroom have a number of nice easels. As this is where I got my De Vere 504, I keep an eye on their stock.

You mentioned the Quadro before and I notice that Secondhand Darkroom and Nova have secondhand items in stock. How does this masking easel work? What's the Q Bar all about and is the whole thing quick and easy to use or a bit of a faff?

Cheers

Barry

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Barry, you hit the nail on the head when you asked if the Quadro is a bit of a faff; well yes it is, but the results can be worth the trouble in my opinion. It is a precision instrument that uses precut metal aperture plates in one guise to provide the required masking. This is ok if you have the correct sized mask! When turned over it can be used with a series of precut masks that are positioned using the “Q-bar” as a guide, again a range of (different) pre-cut masks are used, sometimes with the addition of inserts that are used to produce accurate pen lines. So, no it is not quick to use, unless you are doing a run of identically sized prints that is, but it does work well, and I use mine a lot; in fact I regard it as my main easel. You will either love it, or loath it, there being no middle ground.
    Incidentally the chap that made them also made the worlds best paper safe called the Quadro pro-safe, well worth keeping an eye open for, a three draw unit that takes up to 20” x 20” paper and can support an enlarger on top. Unfortunately they were so expensive at over £350 in about 1990 that he didn’t sell many and stopped making them, which was sad. Be prepared to kill for one of those.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    35mm
    A four blade easel can make it easy to make nice presentation pictures, like say a horizontal 5x7 on a vertical sheet of 8x10.

If you have two easels with blades that go anywhere (and two enlargers) you can do simple spread layouts which are great for storytelling.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bwakel View Post
    What easels do people recommend? Is a four blade easel [useful]?
    I have a large Saunders 4-bladed something-or-other. It is useful for odd or wide borders, odd sized sheets of paper and things like greeting cards [I guess that comes under the heading of odd & wide borders].

The easels I use the most are the Ganz "Speed-Easels" and the Saunders single-size. I normally print on standard sized sheets and trim the image when mounting. The 4-bladed Saunders is most often used to hold a Speed-Easel so it doesn't slide around.

They all hold the paper flat. The single size easels are more reliable in that the paper is always inserted square for even borders and there is no opportunity for setting the blades incorrectly.

As investements -- they have never payed cash dividends and they have all depreciated -- not recomended.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Fotohuis View Post
    The Dunco 4-bladed easels could be a solution or when you have only two formats (or so) you could decided for the Versamask (TM) system from Zöpfl. The guy died last year (cancer) but Heiland and Phototec have overtaken the production of the idea. We have it also in our program.

http://www.versamask.de/
    All masks are laser cut and very precise.

Best regards,

Robert
    Robert I had thought of contacting you directly at your company but then I thought that others might be interested in the information. I had a look at the Versamask site and struggled with the translation. I also looked at your site but could not see any reference to the Versamask.

Let me tell you what I think the Versamask site says and you can correct anything which I have misunderstood.

1. There are two baseplate sizes of 30x40 cms and 40x50cms
    2. There are 8 pins( 2 per corner) to hold the laser cut masks to give a border.
    3. There are various shapes of mask such as Normal Format which give the same narrow border. There are also masks for square format and small picture format and there appear to be masks for Fibrebase paper which give larger borders. Presumably because FB paper needs larger borders. So this means that you can have borders that are equal in size and borders that are different on different sides

Now we come to my assumptions.
    1. Included in the price of each mask is an accompanying metal plate which is just a little smaller than the mask opening size and which gives a black line of 1mm when placed inside the mask.
    2. The pins go through holes in the mask and the baseplate which then holds the paper flat so the borders are not damaged. The pins do not go through the paper but presumably the paper corners touch the pins so the paper is thus centred to give equal borders.
    3. On the Versamask site the smaller baseplate is 69.90 euros and normal format masks for 13x18(5x7 in inches) and 20x25(8x10 in inches) are 42.90 euros each
    4. If I am right in my assumptions I could buy a 30x40 baseplate plus 2 masks and the plates for making black keylines on the edges of the print for about 156 euros.

Of course this doesn't tell me what it would cost to buy from Fotohuis.

The Versamask does look like a good idea and ideal for making black keylines on a print as well as guaranteed right angle borders. Before I go any further I would be grateful if you could help me with answers. Thanks

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Medium Format

Sticky - glass + foam - single size drop & speed & ?

Quote Originally Posted by bwakel View Post
    ...I have to hold down one corner to keep the paper flat!
    Any advice would be appreciated. Barry
    My favorite gripes, won't hold flat and with slotted board
    easels a curve in the paper is induced when the paper
    is inserted. Search this NG for, sticky easel . A few
    alternatives are mentioned. Dan

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Like Nicholas, I've used several Ganz Speed-ez-els for decades. Masks can be improvised to use them for odd size prints. Their light weight can result in movement, but adding a heavier base with non-slip feet can cure that. A vacuum easel for use with a vacuum cleaner isn't hard to make.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Of course this doesn't tell me what it would cost to buy from Fotohuis
    We have exactly the German Phototec and Heiland prices. However due to the fact UK is not joining the Euro you have bank conversion costs and the transport to the UK is rather expensive compared with other non-island EU countries.

We have a direct information under our NL website and *LINKS*. Due to the fact this product is made by two different German companies this is a real "niche" product and commercially less interesting in ordering......

The idea is not completely new however the practical value is simple and great and exactly as you discribed in your message. Normally interesting only when working with fixed limited dimensions only, otherwise also too expensive.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I can wholeheartedly recommend a 4 blade Dunco. A few years ago I bought one from Silverprint in London and consider it one of my better investments. It's got a couple of tricks up its sleeve: you can adjust the blades either in pairs (very easy) or individually (requires unscrewing a couple of nuts). Four scaled magnetic strips also come in the package, which, with a bit of imagination, can be used to create uncommon black borders.

Cheers, omar

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin