Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,295   Posts: 1,535,632   Online: 1115

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format

z6 cold light head

i am looking at buying a z6 cold light head and have 2 questions. when did or did zone 6 start using the v54 light and if it doesnt have a v54 does the arisro ligt a direct fit?
    thanks
    mitch

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Seems likely that Aristo OEM'd the Zone 6 head, but the best way to find out would be to contact Aristo. They don't show the Z6 head in their list of replacement lamps on the web. http://www.aristogrid.com/prod02C.htm

Shooter
    Large Format
    Is the head in question the Z6 5x7 head for the Z6 enlarger, or the conversion head for the Beseler/Omega series? It sounds like you mean the single-tube head, and I think the single-tube conversion heads are pretty much stock Aristo heads.
    —Eric

I changed my original Beseler-configuration Z6 lamp for a V54 with no problems. They appeared at the time to be identically shaped.

Peter Gomena

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pgomena View Post
    I changed my original Beseler-configuration Z6 lamp for a V54 with no problems. They appeared at the time to be identically shaped.

Peter Gomena
    Did you use a Y40 filter on the original lamp for VC and if so, do you see shorter exposure times with the V54?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I spoke to Aristo about the Zone VI head. They did not oem the head and regarded it as a rip-off of their heads. I forget the name of the person with whom I spoke there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Poulsen View Post
    I spoke to Aristo about the Zone VI head. They did not oem the head and regarded it as a rip-off of their heads. I forget the name of the person with whom I spoke there.

I don't know who you spoke to or why they told you that but even if "OEM" isn't exactly what they were, they're Aristo heads. As far as I know, no one else tooled up to make them. Picker may have had them modified by a third party but they were made by Aristo. They're D2 heads. I'm not sure the V54 lamp existed during any of the Zone VI variant's product lifecycle.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I checked with Aristo. Louise Kessler there verified that Aristo had absolutely nothing to do with Fred Picker, either for his enlarger heads or Zone VI heads previous to his enlarger.
    Last edited by Neil Poulsen; 12-27-2006 at 02:53 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Poulsen View Post
    I checked with Aristo. Louise Kessler there verified that Aristo had absolutely nothing to do with Fred Picker, either for his enlarger heads or Zone VI heads previous to his enlarger.
    Please don't take my skepticism personally. I believe that Kessler told you that. I'll freely admit that I have no evidence to support my position. But there is not a thing that any soul at Aristo could tell me that would disuade me from the belief that my Zone VI head is a modified and re-badged Aristo D2. First of all, Picker sold Aristos before he sold Zone VI's with the probe and stabilizer. Is Aristo so vested in disavowing a relationship with Picker that they claim he was never a reseller? Do they claim that the lamps in the housings are not theirs? What are we to think, that some glass blower near rural Newfane, VT was bending them in his barn? Is there some explanation for Aristo's failure to ever so much as have their attorneys fire off a cease and desist letter to this upstart that was ripping off their designs?

Occam's razor tells me that my Zone VI is an Aristo. I am 100% open to explanations to the contrary and for all I know, the next post here will contain one but to date, I've heard nothing to persuade me.

I tried the yellow CC route and found it to be a big PITA. It was not as effective or versatile with polycontrast filters as the V45. It mostly acted as neutral density and slowed my printing down a lot. I seem to find the V45 to be just as fast in terms of printing times as the old tube. It's a good lamp.

Peter Gomena

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin