Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,220   Posts: 1,532,314   Online: 945

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinP View Post
    Is it possible to get hold of some Cokin-P sized rigid optical sheets in 'very yellow' (I suppose 200cc?) and 'very magenta', probably from a movie supplies place? Long ago I was a customer of SRB in the UK, but there are certainly more options in the US. There is nothing magic about the manufacturer's filter material after all. These higher quality filters would be flatter, easier to clean, optically much better and be more robust in use than the gel multigrade filters, and should work fine for split-contrast printing. You could even buy a third one which might look like Grade-3, or so, to simplify the 'average' print.

They might have to be filed down a bit as to not be stiff to get in and out like they normally are. The ones I have are fitting really flat and I might even tape a stiffener at one end to help them remain that way. Like I said I am going to run some tests at 20x24 with 8x10 test strips and see. If I can not detect any difference, I will just use them until I have both the time and room to completely swap out systems to something like an LPL 4500 VCCE.

For amateur printers, much of what is out there is ok. But for pros who need perfectly consistent results in a production atmosphere, this craft is truly half-assed.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    You might find optical-grade resin filters as noted in the previous post, but they need more careful handling than glass. Sinar had the best ones, and you might be able to find a set now that many
    studios have gone digital. But really, most ordinary colorheads are a piece of cake to work. If you can make your own coffee in the morning you can figure these out. And certain so-called VC heads are simply colorheads with either the cyan or red filter removed and the feeback circuitry recalibrated. I'd avoid the Beseler/Minolta. It's a weak flashtube system that might lead to unpredictable results when dodging/burning. Split
    printing just takes a little practice, if that route appeals to you. I can practically do it asleep. It can
    be done with red and blue filters somewhat more efficiently than yellow and magenta, but either way
    works.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm trying to figure it out Drew, for sure. I am on the lookout for a clean used Beseler 45S color head for what they normally go for $150-$250, but no luck so far. The questions I have about that setup is how hot does it run and how diffuse is it compared to my cold light head, any fan vibration issues, etc? And what are the differences between the 45 and the 45S color heads besides the latter being a mechanical type?

It will work fine with my StopClock Vario as when the light sensor is disconnected, the Vario works like the regular StopClock.

Anyone else know of any other downsides to using the 45S over my cold light head and below lens filters?
    Last edited by PKM-25; 12-17-2012 at 01:53 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by PKM-25 View Post

Anyone else know of any other downsides to using the 45S over my cold light head and below lens filters?
    I can't think of anything major. You might have to make your own printing Y/M table (though the Ilford provided tables for Durst and Omega work fine for me, I would hope the info provided for the Beseler head was just as good).

You can never go wrong getting more darkroom supplies. I have multiple 'spare' 4x5 and 8x10 heads and power supplies.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well, yeah, the 3.5 x 3.5's are working fine and I would just assume not mess with it, but then I catch flak from Drew Wiley and he makes it sound like I am putting hair gel on my Apo Rodagons....effing maddening man.
    Your own eyes no good? What you see and what you do with what you see is what makes a photographer. Other wise one just 'takes pictures.'

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    Your own eyes no good? What you see and what you do with what you see is what makes a photographer. Other wise one just 'takes pictures.'
    Back in 98, I had just started working at our local paper. The paper had a serious mouse problem so they also employed a cat. The cat was cross eyed and yet, there were no mice to be found within a week of him starting. Sometimes believing is not seeing..:-)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Back in 98, I had just started working at our local paper. The paper had a serious mouse problem so they also employed a cat. The cat was cross eyed and yet, there were no mice to be found within a week of him starting. Sometimes believing is not seeing..:-)
    Was the cat's name "Mary" by any chance?

(Long time Jethro Tull fan here)
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    Was the cat's name "Mary" by any chance?

(Long time Jethro Tull fan here)
    No, his name is "Scoop", he still works there..;-)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin