Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,863   Posts: 1,583,187   Online: 794

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Multigrade filter holder

What sort of device is available to hold the Ilford 3 1/2 x 3 1/2 inch multigrade filters on an Omega D2? I've been holding them with my fingers, but I'd prefer to have a holder of some sort. B+H has some kind of filter holder for the D2, but its dimensions / compatibility aren't mentioned.

Also, can I use a red #29 filter as a safe filter for positioning the paper?
    Paul

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I don't think there is one. Ilford make an under the lens filter set which comes with a holder unit which clamps to the lens barrel. But they are smaller than 3.5 inches. I think your filters are designed to fit into a filter drawer.
    Percepts,
    An old dog learning new tricks...

Black and White Landscape Prints

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Your filters are designed for a filter drawer as the last poster pointed out. Here is a link to what you need and B&H has a used one for half price that shows no signs of wear. Must be very difficult to dodge or burn when you have to hold a filter under the lens. Don't know about the #29.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

Regards,
    John

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Dear DrPablo,

The March/April 2003 edition of Photo Techniques magazine had an article by William Schneider on building your own filter drawer for an Omega D-2 with a cold light. I believe the design will work just as well with the normal condenser head. In essence, the drawer was made using materials from the local hardware store and it was held snug to the head using springs that attached to the thumbscrews that hold the condensers in place.

Neal Wydra

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    The red 29 or even a 25 should work well as a safe filter. The 29 blocks light shorter than 600nm, and the 25, 580nm. Most Multigrade paper has little response above 560 nm.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by DrPablo View Post
    Also, can I use a red #29 filter as a safe
    filter for positioning the paper?
    My Omega B8, a junior D2, has provision for
    an under lens filter. Years ago I knew the reason
    for that under lens filter and now can't remember.
    Someone jog my memory.

BTW, if you use Graded papers you can skip the
    Multigrade filters and employ brighter darkroom
    lighting. Graded is blue only sensitive. Dan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You know, I have the little under-the-lens attachment for these smaller Kodak filters (which I don't care for very much). I could actually just cut the 3 1/2 x 3 1/2 filters to fit that.
    Paul

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Old thread revival alert....

So up until now, I had been using the small Ilford 3x3 filters in the black frames below the lens, not an issue with any of my enlarging lenses and I keep them fairly close the front. Since I am using a D2 cold light head on my 45MXT, I leave it set closest to the neg most of the time as I mainly print from 6x6, 6x12 and 4x5 negs.

Now I have a rather large 150mm Apo-N that will no longer allow me to swing the filter holder in place. So what I have gone and done is taken a spare Cokin P filter holder used normally for things like split grads and simply thread it on the 67mm front of the lens and then slide in Ilford Multi-grade 3 1/2 x 3 1/2 filters in gently, works great and I only had to trim a little bit off the filters so that they slide in with no binding.

Just an idea if anyone needs one.
    "I'm the freak that shoots film. God bless the freaks!" ~ Mainecoonmaniac ~

Shooter
    Multi Format

Re: Multigrade filter holder

Quote Originally Posted by PKM-25 View Post
    Old thread revival alert....

So up until now, I had been using the small Ilford 3x3 filters in the black frames below the lens, not an issue with any of my enlarging lenses and I keep them fairly close the front. Since I am using a D2 cold light head on my 45MXT, I leave it set closest to the neg most of the time as I mainly print from 6x6, 6x12 and 4x5 negs.

Now I have a rather large 150mm Apo-N that will no longer allow me to swing the filter holder in place. So what I have gone and done is taken a spare Cokin P filter holder used normally for things like split grads and simply thread it on the 67mm front of the lens and then slide in Ilford Multi-grade 3 1/2 x 3 1/2 filters in gently, works great and I only had to trim a little bit off the filters so that they slide in with no binding.

Just an idea if anyone needs one.
    Good idea

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Seems that would pretty much degrade all the precision inherent to the 150 Apo to begin with.
    No filter drawer above the neg carrier? Or no actual colorhead - so much easier!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin