Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,008   Posts: 1,524,603   Online: 1038

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Probably over-kill for you, but I buy the 6"x6" filters for our teaching darkroom here at the university -- I can replace 4 under-the-lens filters with each 6x6...more economical for us.

Vaughn

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckP View Post
    I think most people have no problems with below the lens filters. I used them for a time and didn't see any casual differences. My problem with putting a filter on the carrier is hitting the carrier when changing filters under safelight. Lots of negatives require use of two or more filters for a single print.
    I use a set of under the lens filters with my Omega D2. You are correct about the possibility of moving the lens during filter changes. I solved the problem by fabricating a holder for the Ilford Filter Holder that attaches to the wall, not the lens or enlarger. I used one of those goosneck devices machinest use to hold lubricants in place. I have seen the same device use to hold filters and lens shades in place on large format cameras.

I can now do split grade filtering burning and dodging without worrying about the lens moving.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Just an observation. A filter "above the lens" or "below the lens" is still in the optical path, if the negative in either case is above the filter. I have never found that below the lens filters degrade the image if clean, and designed for "below the lens" use.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin