Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,515   Posts: 1,543,722   Online: 894

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Are Ilford below lens MG filters replaceable?

Are the gel filters replaceable on these below lens sets or do you have to buy a entire new set if the gel filters need to be replaced. I haven't seen this set in person and was interested in picking up a used set if I can replace the gels filters if needed in the future by cutting the 3x3 filters to fit if necessary.
    Thanks,
    GP
    Last edited by gphoto120; 01-13-2007 at 08:11 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: should be mg not mc

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I believe that they are fixed in the plastic so you would need to either replace the set, or as you said cut the larger size down. I though I had a set somewhere, but I can't find it right now. The Beseler set that I did find is all of a peice, for what it's worth.

- Randy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi,

You can break open the plastic frames, and as you suggested cut down 3x3 filters to fit the frames, I do this fairly often when a filter becomes marked.
    Sometimes the frames dont fit back together very securely, but I find a tiny piece of tape along the edge of the frame seems to hold everything together!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What filter # do you need. I have extras.

Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the replies. Actually I was thinking of buying a used set and wanted to know if they could be replaced as needed.

I do have one other question as I'm just getting back into a darkroom after 15 years: Is there any benefit using the filters above the lens (in a filter drawer) or using them below the lens ? I know there was a preferred placement in the past , but I can't remember the reasoning.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gphoto120 View Post
    Thanks for the replies. Actually I was thinking of buying a used set and wanted to know if they could be replaced as needed.

I do have one other question as I'm just getting back into a darkroom after 15 years: Is there any benefit using the filters above the lens (in a filter drawer) or using them below the lens ? I know there was a preferred placement in the past , but I can't remember the reasoning.
    The preferred position is always above the lens, where the filters cannot interfere with definition (although the below-the-lens types don't do this to any practical degree). The official reason for the below-the-lens filters was simply to accommodate enlargers with no filter drawer.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    This discussion has been on my mind lately. I have been contemplating an Aristo coldlight head for my D2V. Doing so would make using filters above the lens difficult (I usually put them in above the variable condensor). With the Aristo, you wind up having the light source immediately above the negative on a D2. I used to lay a vc filter immediately above the neg, but that required a very clean filter, and I was reluctant to put a filter south of the lens for reason mentioned above.

If any of you use an Aristo head on a D2, where do you place your filter?
    Neal

Shooter
    Multi Format
    An Aristo head on a Beseler presents the same problem.
    There was an article a couple of years ago in one of the buff books about building a filter drawer and inserting it just beneath the lamp housing.
    Peg board was the material used, I used three layers, four would have given a bit more room for the filters to slide in & out
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    on top of the negative carrier
    http://www.aclancyphotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think most people have no problems with below the lens filters. I used them for a time and didn't see any casual differences. My problem with putting a filter on the carrier is hitting the carrier when changing filters under safelight. Lots of negatives require use of two or more filters for a single print.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin