Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,499   Posts: 1,543,273   Online: 946

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    You will be safe with a red safelight.

An OC or OA series yellow light allows both green and red through and will fog MG papers, but a red filter allows only red to pass.
    OK, I am not experiencing any fog that I know of, but this resurrected thread is going to make me go back and test again! :o

I'm confused by the statements above and others. According to Ilford's datasheet on MG paper:

"MULTIGRADE IV FB Fiber can be used with most common safelights for black and white papers. … ILFORD safelights are the ILFORD SL1 darkroom safelight or the ILFORD 902 (light brown) ... Other safelight filters can be used, for example, the Kodak OC and the Agfa-Gevaert G7, or the Philips PF710 safelamp."

I have used Kodak OC filters since Moses invented them. What's the deal? Is this yet another area where "YMMV"?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    How close and how long? I always wonder about those two things. It's like light leaks in the darkroom. If they don't hit the paper do they matter?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    It's always good to test in your own darkroom for these sorts of things. I have a red LED safelight, which puts out fairly narrow spectrum light, and it doesn't seem to have caused any problems with Ilford MGIV.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It really is a question of time and intensity. No safelight is safe for an indefinite period of time. I'm using three Kodak bullet type safelights with 15 watt incandescent bulbs in my darkroom, all with red 1A filters, and all bounced off a white wall or ceiling. I have no problems with any of the papers I use and there is sufficient illumination to do what needs to be done. Would I leave an open box of paper lying around in that light? No, but I don't need to concern myself with the amount of time it takes for me to trim a few sheets of paper to size either. These three lamps are wired into the enlarging timer and turn off when the enlarger's lamp is on. There is one smaller 5x7 safelight bolted to the wall and directly illuminates the work surface on the dry side of the room from a distance of about 18 inches. This lamp is equipped with a 7.5 watt bulb filtered through two layers of rubylith. A piece of variable contrast paper left directly under the lamp for a couple of minutes will be fogged. Move that piece of paper a foot to the side and there is no problem.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Might have already been mentioned, but not all VC papers are created equal in terms of time and intensity.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've used OC and OA safelights with Ilford MGIV paper with no problem at all.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't doubt you, but I'm surprised to hear that the OA filter is safe with Ilford MGIV. There is a fair amount of green light passed by this filter, and variable contrast papers are green sensitive.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The O series safelights let light through that the MG papers could be sensitive to, but the amount is low and the sensitivity of the MG papers is 'short' or at a lower wavelength than the O series allows most of their green to pass.

Therefore, the O series can work if you are careful. I use them from time to time with no problem.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use a gel from Lee filters (cinema) called blood red over my safelight, which is just a standard parabolic reflector with a flourescent inside. The gel costs $6 at my local grip house. According to their information it cuts all wavelengths below around 550-560nms.

Patrick

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    My red safelight exposes my VC Sterling paper extremely fast but my warmtone fomabron is perfectly fine under the light. I think it just comes down to each paper.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin