Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,971   Posts: 1,558,569   Online: 1131

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by athanasius80 View Post
    They're not so common anymore, but there was a Federal enlarger called the 450 that could accomodate 4x5. I have one, its smaller than an Omega or Beseler, and mine fits perfectly between the toilet and the shower.
    Good luck!
    There are 2 or 3 on ebay right now. You would need a modern lens.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    When using 4x5 negatives, remove the adjustable condenser completely and see if this solves your problem.
    Jim
    I have, and the problem persists, might be something about the combination of that enlarger with that lens.
    135mm Nikkor f/5.6 I believe.

Mark_S, thanks for that Craigslist link, I'll defenitely be contacting them as soon as I figure out what exactly our price range is, it sounds like exactly what we'd want.

I can't find anything other than manuals for the Federal 450s on ebay.
    Have a link maybe?
    Seems like I could get a decent modern lens for 4x5 for under $100 on ebay, so that's not a major concern.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    My 50-year-old 4x5 DeJur is a fine enlarger. Even the original lens compares well enough with a newer EL-Nikkor. Adapting this enlarger to 35mm did require some knowledge of enlargers, and the lack of a filter drawer is a nuisance. Another sturdy old enlarger is the Solar. Testrite made 4x5 enlargers, but they are flimsy. If your spare bedroom is big enough, you might consider an Elwood. They seem awfully primative, but I used one for years. Uneven illumination in an enlarger can be caused by a lamp out of position or the wrong condensers. Many good enlarging lenses have a bit of a hot spot in the image center when wide open. One can usually convert a condenser enlarger to diffusion, but that doesn't insure even illumination.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Craigslist is the best place to look for bargain enlargers if you live in a metropolitan area like Chicago. People on Craigslist like to sell things locally, and you can get some deals that would be impossible on E-bay.

Here is one that is available in Chicago right now:

http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/for/288408556.html
    Paul

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DrPablo View Post
    Craigslist is the best place to look for bargain enlargers if you live in a metropolitan area like Chicago. People on Craigslist like to sell things locally, and you can get some deals that would be impossible on E-bay.

Here is one that is available in Chicago right now:

http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/for/288408556.html
    Mark_S has already directed me to this same listing, shot the guy an email with an offer, it sounds like the most viable option for us right now.
    Thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Got a hold of a Beseler 45M.
    Now I just need a filter pack and a longer lens.
    Bitchin.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ok now that I've got it, I've got a few questions.
    First off.
    How important is a voltage stabilizer?
    I'm pretty sure the D2s at school don't have them and I've never noticed any 'fluctuations', is that just luck?
    Contrast filters.
    I have the older head that does NOT have a filter bay in the head, though there appears to be a filter bay just above the lens board, seems to be about 1.5" or 2" square, can I buy a filter pack in the right size to fit this slot somewhere? Or do I have to buy an Ilford pack and cut it down and put some soft of handle on them?
    Lenses, right now, I have 3, 50mm lenses, obviously, I plan on printing from bigger than 35mm negs or I would have just gotten another 23C.
    Does the lens I use matter that much for my format? Or can I use a 50mm for 4x5 if I adjust the condenser? And if I can, would that allow me to make much larger prints? Or just give me some weird soft edges/vignette?
    I'm looking at a Fuji 180, and a Nikkor 75 and 135, not sure really which of these to get and how the condensers settings match up with what lens I'm using. (I'm used to an Omega D2 at the moment)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you're printing colour the stabilizer matters more.

You need a lens at least long enough o cover the negative.

The Nikon 75mm was a budget lenses. The 80mm was the better item.

A 180mm will cost you a little enlargement size from 4x5 and will really limit you with smaller formats.

If that's a Nikon 135mm it'll be just peachy for 4x5.

I'm assuming the 45M has a knob on one side with a guage. Turn it to adjust the condensors for the format. Fairly simple if it's like my Beseler.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    "How important is a voltage stabilizer?"
    Not at all really if you are printing b&w: their main use is in colour work where keeping the colour temperature of the lamp steady is important.

"Contrast filters."

You will either have to cut some down or use the Ilford under-the-lens filters which come with a holder that attaches to the lens but they are quite expensive. You could put the filter on top of the negative in the negative holder but that is probably a bit fiddly...

"Lenses"
    A 50mm lens will not cover 4x5: you will get severe vignetting. 150mm is the standard for 4x5 but a 135 will probably be OK. The 180 will also probably be OK but you will need the head up higher for a given size enlargement over the 135 or a 150.

Good luck, Bob.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    RoBBo, have you try to convert your 4X5 camera into an enlarger? Graflex used to make a Cold Light back with a simple carrier for this cameras and the results were exceptional. I use to use one of those. Of course, my suggestion is more like a worst case scenario.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin