Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,955   Posts: 1,522,811   Online: 1001

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

How large was the largest traditional (non-digital) print ever made, or, failing that, the largest that you've ever seen? Let's exclude billboards, other advertisements, and images made for special applications; traditional prints only.

Somebody I know said that she once made a print that was something like six feet long. I'm not sure that I've actually seen a print that size, though.

Shooter
    Large Format
    There was a guy here in Mexico who made an in camera paper negative that was 7 feet by 5 feet. Sadly the guy recently died.....Never got to see the paper negative but it most have been something awsome!

The largest I ever saw was an AA Moonrise, on the wall of my first bosses apartment. He's a pretty famous photographer in Manhattan and LA, so I assume it was an origional.
    It was easily 4X6 Feet and very impressive!

- William Levitt

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Clyde butcher is making beautiful 4ft x 5 and 6ft prints. and if I remember correctly he may do even larger ones. Interesting method he has worked out to do so. There was an article in B&W magazine earlier in the year with more specific information regarding his darkroom and methods.

http://www.clydebutcher.com/96fallnl/darkroom.htm
    http://www.aclancyphotography.com

On one piece of paper or as a photo mural? Largest paper available today is roll paper that comes 48-inches wide by xxx feet long (I forget the number of feet). So, you are limited in one dimension by the 48-inch width.

What would be interesting to do, is stitch together several (like 3) panoramic format photos & have them output on a LightJet as it has a roll of 48-inch wide paper loaded in it, and should be able to print the entire length of the stitched together photo ....

Oooooooowww...that shouldn't be too expensive!!

Look at the big stuff done by Chuck Close. AND, do assemblages like those done by Robert Raushenberg count?

I have hanging right behind me a 40x50 silver print by Charles Phillips. He is currently making prints even larger. His work is magnificent. lt sure helps when you start with an 8x10 negative.

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think that one takes the cake lexla. Would have like to see the video.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I was about to mention the legacy project photo until I saw Lexla's link.
    9.6 x 33.8 metres, and airplane hanger for a camera. If not the largest, then certainly pretty close.
    Here's another link for it; http://www.legacyphotoproject.com/index2.php

There's also the Nascar photographer Rick Graves who does 7 x 300 foot prints from a continuous length of film.
    http://rickgravesphotography.blogspo...a-alabama.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Kodak Endura paper was made in 72" width. IDK if it still is, but that was inspired by the Worlds Fair prints that were hung on the sides of a building devoted to such displays. These measured on the order of 20x40 FEET or more and were floodlit. The photos were exposed to so much light, heat and moisture over the summer that they began to fade and were replaced at least twice to my knowledge.

These were commissioned by the Wordl's Fair NY committee IIRC and inspired Kodak to develop wider paper widths.

These photos were said at the time to be the largest ever made. They were stitched together optically using a special horizontal enlarger and wall sized vacuum frame. The negatives were UULF. I do not remember the size, but the back of the enlarger was also nearly room size.

They had a studio camera setup for taking this UULF film. My memory seems to tell me that the film was 20x40 inches or larger.

PE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin