Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,940   Posts: 1,557,432   Online: 863
      
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 46
  1. #11

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Japan
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    1,957
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kershaw View Post
    The idea of banning electric filament light bulbs is totally ridiculous; the "energy saving" bulbs work fine for some applications, but are not appropriate for many others. Furthermore, it is not the business of the state or the European Union to dictate such matters... eco-fascism and self-justifying over legislating is not the solution.

    Tom.
    Isn't Australia going for the same trend, too? I heard something in the news recently. Well, the idea of "eco-friendly" whatever seems nothing more than government subsidies at this point.

  2. #12

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Posts
    306
    Mmmm tis very worrying but as they have been reforming the house of lords for 20 years are they going to do better on this?
    Just as with the road priceing petition I belive as crispinuk that it does no harm to give notice to the powers that be that we will not be railroaded.
    I feel the practicalities of this matter will hold little weight with our political masters, what may is the safety aspect, in industry flouresent lights can cause a strobing effect so that rotateing machinery can appear stationary, which is why lathes have a tungsten working light fitted. It will take one pensioner/child to fall down stairs and break a leg because the light was not bright enough when first switched on for the hugh and cry to be on in the tabloid press, that is where the exceptions and concesions will be won in my view.
    Regards Paul.

  3. #13
    Steve Smith's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Ryde, Isle of Wight
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    8,611
    Images
    122
    I think this will only cover domestic lighting. Specialist use of tungsten bulbs should be o.k.
    The main use of tungsten where nothing else will work as well would be theatre/concert lighting which I'm sure will be exempt as there is no real alternative.

    Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

  4. #14

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    726
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    I think this will only cover domestic lighting. Specialist use of tungsten bulbs should be o.k.
    The main use of tungsten where nothing else will work as well would be theatre/concert lighting which I'm sure will be exempt as there is no real alternative.

    Steve.
    That might cover the enlarger bulb, but there is also the issue of darkroom white lights. My darkroom is now the only room in my house to use old style light bulbs. I tried the energy savers and they just take so long to reach full power that judging prints on a reasonable time scale becomes next to impossible. I suppose it might be possible to develop the equivalent of a dark lantern so that the darkroom light remains on all the time and is opened and closed with some form of shutter, but it's a bit of a faff and tube lights are notoriously power hungry when switching on, despite being economical once they are running.

    David.

  5. #15

    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    2,025
    What a useful bunch they are in the EU. While donkeys are still being lobbed out of belfreys I would bet you could stock up all you like on filament bulbs in Spain. Just as it is easy to buy plates piled high with baby fish, such as cod etc while other EU countries put fishermen out of work and make the mesh size big enough to ensure that only as yet undiscovered giants of the deep have a chance of being caught. I dont reckon it will be a problem (unlike teh dwindling manufactureres of photo paper and film!)

  6. #16

    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chorley, Lancashire, England
    Posts
    129
    Quote Originally Posted by Woolliscroft View Post
    That might cover the enlarger bulb, but there is also the issue of darkroom white lights. My darkroom is now the only room in my house to use old style light bulbs. I tried the energy savers and they just take so long to reach full power that judging prints on a reasonable time scale becomes next to impossible. I suppose it might be possible to develop the equivalent of a dark lantern so that the darkroom light remains on all the time and is opened and closed with some form of shutter, but it's a bit of a faff and tube lights are notoriously power hungry when switching on, despite being economical once they are running.

    David.
    Are you sure about the "notoriously power hungry" comment. Any figures?

  7. #17
    Andy K's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Sunny Southend, England.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    9,422
    Images
    81
    Quote Originally Posted by chorleyjeff View Post
    Are you sure about the "notoriously power hungry" comment. Any figures?
    I don't have any figures but I was told a similar thing by an electrician: that it is cheaper to leave strip lighting on rather than continually switch it on and off*.


    *for example a kitchen light over the course of an average evening.


    -----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

  8. #18

    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Sarajevo
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,801
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy K View Post
    ...So don't panic about light bulbs, it's a big world and someone somewhere will still be making the bulb you require.
    God save the Peoples Republic of China
    Bosnia... You don't have to be crazy to live here, but it helps...
    No things in life should be left unfinis

  9. #19
    ben-s's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Nottingham, UK
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    443
    Images
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy K View Post
    I don't have any figures but I was told a similar thing by an electrician: that it is cheaper to leave strip lighting on rather than continually switch it on and off*.


    *for example a kitchen light over the course of an average evening.
    IDK about startup, but tubes last much longer if left on. Repeated starting is quite bad for them.
    A prime example is illustrated by a couple of lights at work. We have two lights of the same type - one over the mixing desk, in a shuttered fitting, and one in the storeroom, in the same kind of fitting, but with the shutters removed.

    The one over the mixing desk is left on all the time, and the tube hasn't been replaced for years. The one in the storeroom gets powercycled several times a day, and fails quite regularly.
    Lens caps and cable releases can become invisible at will. :D

  10. #20

    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Toulouse, France
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    527
    Hi !
    The main problem with fluorescent type bulbs is that they're not eco friendly at all !
    Maybe they consume less power when left on, but, starting a fluorescent tube involves putting current in the coil called the ballast and, as you may recall from your physics classes this has a price.
    And, last but not least, remember that all eco friendly bulbs are mercury vapor based. The mercury vapor produce a huge amount of ultra violet light which is converted to visible light by a fluorecent powder inside the tube. The mercury vapor is a nasty and toxic stuff we are unable to recycle as are the rare earth powders coated inside the tube. This will ensure backyard pollution for the next generation and an enormeous increase in mercury gas into the atmosphere... Eco friendly you said ?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin