Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,585   Posts: 1,545,812   Online: 1127

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    As an apprentice electrician some 38 years ago I was taught that you could run a fluoresent tube for 15min. for what it cost to start it up. Also they last a lot longer if not cycled on off too often as has been alraedy said.
    Regards Paul.

Shooter
    35mm
    A couple of points:

• This hasn't been proposed by the "faceless bureaucrats in Brussels" as beloved of some newspapers, it was proposed by Angela Merkel and agreed by Tony Blair and other EU leaders.
    • Light bulb power consumption - Mythbusters actually had an episode that looks at this indicating the accepted truths are out by a magnitude in terms of turn-on power consumption (seconds rather than minutes).

Back to your regular listening
    Last edited by dsullivan; 03-12-2007 at 01:50 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Add mythbusters link

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    If all the household lamps go fluorescent, the manufacturing of Tungsten filament lamps may cease as it would be economically unviable. Enlarger lamps piggy back of the economy of scale in regular household lamps.

It could happen, Walmart is telling its suppliers they want 60% of lamp sales to be fluorescents in the next five years. You better believe Wal-Mart has more clout than Australia or the EU.

We better get ready with LED lamps that give the same colour temperature.
    Last edited by Kilgallb; 03-12-2007 at 01:48 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: typo

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    The WalMart push is already evident here in the US. We have a small hardware store chain in upstate NY that, to meet the competitive threat, has recently dropped the prices on the 18 watt flourescents (i.e. 75 watt tungsten equivalent) dramatically. This is great for us as we refuse to shop in WalMart.

For general household usage we switched over to the compact flourescents years ago (as replacements when the incandecents died). We did it primarily for energy conservation purposes. However, it had an ancillary positive benefit for our NYC condo. Built in the 1960's it only has 75 amp service and if you ran too many of the modern conveniences we were blowing fuses all the time. Switching the lamps and fixtures over to the low-watt bulbs reduced our overall demand such that we now rarely blow a fuse.

It's saved us having to upgrade our service panel, which, when you consider NYC electrician's costs, buys a lot of CF bulbs!

As to enlarger availability; I would imagine that "specialty incadescents" will be available for a long, long time. Just like film!

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by copake_ham View Post
    As to enlarger availability; I would imagine that "specialty incadescents" will be available for a long, long time. Just like film!
    I have already posted this in another thread, but the reply quoted below that I received from Philips shows that they at least are exiting the photographic incandescent market. AFAIK Philips are the only source of supply for European 230V incandescent enlarger lamps, although I assume there are other sources of supply for 120V lamps.

"Unfortunately the rumours that you have heard are correct. During the past 12 months we have implementing the phased closure of our incandescent factory in Weert, Holland.
    Given the reduction in demand for these Photographic lamp types, we have taken the decision to stop the manufacture of this complete lamp family.
    Manufacture on this range actually stopped in mid-summer 2006. However lamp type P34, we do still actually have some stock still available. Once it has gone it will not be replaced."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by copake_ham View Post
    ....This is great for us as we refuse to shop in WalMart.......
    Same for us and bravo to you. Howard Tanger

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgesGiralt View Post
    And, last but not least, remember that all eco friendly bulbs are mercury vapor based. The mercury vapor produce a huge amount of ultra violet light which is converted to visible light by a fluorecent powder inside the tube. The mercury vapor is a nasty and toxic stuff we are unable to recycle as are the rare earth powders coated inside the tube. This will ensure backyard pollution for the next generation and an enormeous increase in mercury gas into the atmosphere... Eco friendly you said ?
    Exactly! It just reminds me of the current state of the most of the useless digital consumer products...

Quote Originally Posted by Ole View Post
    Oh well.

If worst comes to worst, I'm sure I could rig up some kind of shutter contraption inside the lamp housing on the Durst 138S. Or put the enlarger lens in a shutter.

Then just leave the lamp to warm up, open the shutter to expose, and shut it at the end of exposure.

Since a low-energy bulb produces less heat than an incandescent bulb with the same light output, it might even be better!
    Ole
    A hard alternative to putting a dozen bulbs in a drawer. I almost made the same mistake with mercury batteries.
    It's been colder here in March than I ever remember it in 30 years -22C
    One fellow said the other day 'if global warming's coming it aint fast enough'.
    Don't know that I agree -but

Mark
    Mark Layne
    Nova Scotia
    and Barbados

Can you imagine going into a walk in closet and turning on the light so you can find your clothing. But wait, I `ll have to stand there 5 minutes while the thing warms up. The alturnative is to just leave it on the time and thereby defeat the whole purpose. Then we get into the mercury. We can`t have mercury batteries anymore, but mercury light bulbs are just great.

Politicians amaze me. They all think just by passing a law they can defeat science.

We got it going with alcohol in gasoline. Half the energy content as gas so you get poor mileage and then you need to add the oil used to make the alcohol and grow the crops and it is a net loss.

They should be banned from passing laws.

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Moravec View Post
    Can you imagine going into a walk in closet and turning on the light so you can find your clothing. But wait, I `ll have to stand there 5 minutes while the thing warms up. The alturnative is to just leave it on the time and thereby defeat the whole purpose. Then we get into the mercury. We can`t have mercury batteries anymore, but mercury light bulbs are just great.

Politicians amaze me. They all think just by passing a law they can defeat science.

We got it going with alcohol in gasoline. Half the energy content as gas so you get poor mileage and then you need to add the oil used to make the alcohol and grow the crops and it is a net loss.

They should be banned from passing laws.
    Ahh yes!
    Back in the EU!
    Back in the EU!
    Back in the EUSSR!
    You don't know how lucky you are boy.
    Back in the EUSSR.
    Don Bryant

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin