Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,822   Posts: 1,581,886   Online: 1155

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Apo Gerogon for Enlarger?

I have several process type lenses off of copy cameras, and I thought I would try a couple as enlarging lenses as I have read a few threads describing them as acceptable. Problem is, I can't get any of them to focus with the aperture opened up. They look sharper stopped all the way down, but just a blur opened up. I figured I must be doing something wrong. My enlarger is a Durst 138, and the lens in question is an Apo Gerogon 240 (among others: Konica Hexanon GRII 150mm, Eskofot Ultragon 210mm). Trying to focus a 5x7 negative with two 240 condensers. Any suggestions, or are these lenses useless as enlarging lenses?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I used process lenses for enlarging for many years. I used Apo Nikkors of 240,420,610,760mm, Apo tessars of 300,500, 1200mm, and 600 mm Apo Germinar. I was doing work more critical than normal print making. Their performance was comparable or superior to enlarging lenses. Of course there is not much available in enlarging lenses over 360mm. check your bellows extension. You will need 20" of bellows for same size.
    Richard

Why are there no speaker jacks on a stereo camera?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I am using an Apo Gerogon 210 f9 to enlarge my 5x7 negs. It seems to work just fine... but I have only made a few enlargements so far. When I get a chance to do more I can let you know what more impressions I may have of the lens.

gene
    gene LaFord

Long live Ed "Big Daddy" Roth!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I don't care about Milwaukee or Chicago." - Yvon LeBlanc

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I am using an Apo Gerogon 210 f9 to enlarge my 5x7 negs. It seems to work just fine... but I have only made a few enlargements so far. When I get a chance to do more I can let you know what more impressions I may have of the lens.
    Hi Gene, it's a year later and I have a Durst 138 and I too have several lenses. I have the Apo Gerogon 210 f9 that I am was going to use with 5x7 negatives. I found that it covers an 8x10 also. How did the Gergon work out?

Curt
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I made a really nice print of some driftwood that I photographed at the Quabbin Reservoir. I am quite happy with this lens for enlarging. If I ever get an 8x10 camera I am tempted to use it as a taking lens.

gene
    gene LaFord

Long live Ed "Big Daddy" Roth!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I don't care about Milwaukee or Chicago." - Yvon LeBlanc

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Mine was sold as new and the sell told me it would make a great taking lens, sharp, I haven't tried it but it's small. I've had it for over a year now and it was inexpensive so I bought it with no great expectations. I don't know if it would fit in a shutter but that's not necessary.

Curt
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Curt, I have the 300mm and the 360mm that I use on the 8x10 and 8x20 respectively. They are both great taking lenses. Sharp as hell. I use them with a Packard or just cap off and cap on.

Jim

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin