Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,533   Posts: 1,543,995   Online: 1017

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by bdial View Post
    Forgot to include the shot showing the inside of the cover...
    Aha, thanks a bunch, that's informative. I see that M600's lamp compartment has a "lip" (i.e. a protruding border), around which the cover snaps securely, thus trapping the light. The M700's heat sink that houses the lamp does not this lip, so I can't imagine a cover that would shut the light inside. On the other hand, I'm glad that M700's bulb compartment is squarish: it would be harder making a cover for the irregular shape of the M600.

I'm having a bit of a problem with making a cover myself. I've made one out of a tin cookie box, using some aluminum foil as a "gasket", to achieve a better contact. It fits pretty snugly, BUT in the total darkness I can see quite a bit of light leaking *down* from under the lid: this light ends up shining on the paper for enlargements bigger than 5x7 (for 5x7 the reflected light is just next to the paper easel, but doesn't reach the paper).

I wonder if I can use some kind of heat resistant rubber as a gasket between the cover and the heat sink?.. Any ideas what kind of rubber I can use for this?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    One possibility that comes to mind is automotive high temperature silicone gasket material. For example, http://www.permatex.com/products/aut...one_Gasket.htm

Also, the lamp cover on the M600 doesn't snap in place it simply sits over the bulb chamber. It does leak some light, but the enlarger head prevents it from spreading inconveniently.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by agenkin View Post
    Aha, thanks a bunch, that's informative. I see that M600's lamp compartment has a "lip" (i.e. a protruding border), around which the cover snaps securely, thus trapping the light. The M700's heat sink that houses the lamp does not this lip, so I can't imagine a cover that would shut the light inside. On the other hand, I'm glad that M700's bulb compartment is squarish: it would be harder making a cover for the irregular shape of the M600.

I'm having a bit of a problem with making a cover myself. I've made one out of a tin cookie box, using some aluminum foil as a "gasket", to achieve a better contact. It fits pretty snugly, BUT in the total darkness I can see quite a bit of light leaking *down* from under the lid: this light ends up shining on the paper for enlargements bigger than 5x7 (for 5x7 the reflected light is just next to the paper easel, but doesn't reach the paper).

I wonder if I can use some kind of heat resistant rubber as a gasket between the cover and the heat sink?.. Any ideas what kind of rubber I can use for this?
    I use an M800, which is a later, very slight modificaation of the M700. I found that the best way to have replacement parts for Durst enlargers of this age [mid-1970's] is to shop for another of the same model, often in poor condition at a cheap price.

Your M700 is not just an "entry" model. I was was the proefssional grade medium format enlarger of its day. You would find that most parts and accessories for the M800 fit the M700. Durst parts are often fairly complex designs with tight fittings, so it may be difficult to make a properly fitting replacement cover. I have a spare M700. I looked a the housing cover, which is just a retangular plate with holes and louvers to block light leaks. Too complex to just make out of tin, so anything you can fit which will provide heat escape and not leak light will work. I would not use an rubber or plastic gaskets to avoid melting.

Images
    In Analog photography, 1979 really is fairly recent
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin