Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,514   Posts: 1,543,604   Online: 1115

Shooter
    35mm

Omega C760 vs Durst M700

Greetings:

I recently bought a used Durst M700. It has a missing part, which is not a very big deal, but I also found out that if I later wanted to try shooting some medium format films, I'd have to find a different condenser and a different negative holder, which are difficult to find for the M700.

Currently there is an ad for a reasonably priced Omega C760 in the local classifieds, and I'm wondering whether it's worth it for me to switch to the C760, before I invest too much time into making the M700 work. I did an eBay search, and found quite a few auctions for C760 spare parts (neg. holders, etc.), which I liked. Does the C760 also need a different condenser to print medium format?

Generally speaking, is the Omega C760 a step up or a step down, compared to the Durst M700? I also found an advisory about problems with the C760 focusing and elevation mechanisms. I also found a bunch of questions asking how to align their C760 - is this just because it's a more popular model, or is this a problematic enlarger to start with?

I'd appreciate any input. Thanks in advance.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I used a C760 for years. The only reason I changed was the move to LF. It's a great enlarger. Used it for 35mm and 6x6 with glass carrier. Has some nice features that some of the larger enlargers don't have. I still have it, waiting to give away to someone who is just starting out.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't know that Durst. But Dursts tend to be expensive. Plus Durst doesn't make any enlargers any more. While Omega is at least providing some support.

In todays market if you have the room getting a second enlarger isn't a bad idea. Set one up for MF one for 35mm. Prices are almost so low it's cheaper then a lens cap for the enlarger lens.

OTOH part of me will say look for a 4x5 enlarger or you'll end up with three enlargers

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't know about the Durst, but I have two Omega's. One I bought 'for real' several years ago at the cost it was then and one I bought last year for $5. I love my Omega's, though, honestly I haven't used either one of them in years. The Omega is easy to use, easy to dial in the colour filters, easy to add and use the accessories. Simple design.

I have the Dichomatic heads for both and also the condenser heads. Plus I have a bunch accessories for both as well. And, I have stockpiled a host of bulbs and parts for them - just in case.

Regards, Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Images
    When it works, the C760 is a joy to use. But it is nearly impossible to keep the film carrier in alignment even with ordinary use. If you buy a used one, be sure to get one which has thumbscrews to cinch the lens carrier to the rack when the bellows is tightly compressed (a running change about half way through production), otherwise it will creep after you've focused it.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Mitchell View Post
    If you buy a used one, be sure to get one which has thumbscrews to cinch the lens carrier to the rack when the bellows is tightly compressed (a running change about half way through production), otherwise it will creep after you've focused it.
    Hi, Bill:

I don't quite understand: are you saying to make sure that the lens board is attached by a set of thumb screws? What's the alternative?

Thanks!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by agenkin View Post
    Hi, Bill:

I don't quite understand: are you saying to make sure that the lens board is attached by a set of thumb screws? What's the alternative?

Thanks!
    To answer your original question, an Omega C670 would be a big "step down" from a Durst M700, assuming both are complete and working. The Omega is much more lightly built and will go out of anlignment with some use, whereas the Durt will not. On the other hand, if you cannot find the parts you need for the Durst, then there is no basis for comparing a model in working condition with one which is not. I doubt that parts for the Omega are available from the factory for this model, but in the USA, the Omega is so common that you can find almost any parts and accessories you want on ebay or from used dealers. For Durst, you are mainly shopping ebay. If you want to stay with the M700, consider shopping ebay for a color head with regulated power supply. The ones for M700 and M800 are interchangeable. They are not always listed, but they come up fairly often. The color head will replace the M700 part you are presently missing. It will require a light mixing box, which also come along fairy regularly [a 6x9 box will cover all needs in a pinch]. The M700 standard film carrier [glass with masking] can be used for all film sizes; if you want glassless carrier, then you have to ebay yourself the glassless inserts which fit the M770/M800 series; then replace the glass plates inthe standard carrier.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin