Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,535,828   Online: 810

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I had this kind of problem with a chromega E, though it wasn't a circle but 4 dots of added density in the shape of a square that showed up in prints. Turns out there were four bright screwheads within the bellows assembly that were somehow reflecting down through the lens and onto the print -- very strange since they weren't in direct line of sight of the lens, but apparently light bounces around in very strange ways up there.

If your enlarger uses a lens cone, I'd be suspicious of the point where the vertical sides make the abrupt turn into the mounting ring. That's the kind of edge that can catch the light and form a bright ring that somehow reflects down onto the paper. But basically it's just a matter of taking off the lens (or looking down through the negative stage) and hunting for any source of a bright circle and flocking it.
    Last edited by Poco; 04-05-2007 at 09:02 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Poco View Post
    If your enlarger uses a lens cone, I'd be suspicious of the point where the vertical sides make the abrupt turn into the mounting ring. That's the kind of edge that can catch the light and form a bright ring that somehow reflects down onto the paper.
    Thanks for the advice. This lens is mounted in a lens cone. I'll check it out tonight.
    If you can't answer a man's argument, all is not lost; you can still call him vile names.
    - Elbert Hubbard

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole View Post
    That looks like a "Niebelungen-ring", so named fron Wagner's habit of using his beer stein as a paper weight to keep the finished sheets in place when he was composing.

Any chance of something with a circular bottom having rested on your paper?
    Drinking beer in the darkroom perhaps?? I wonder if that was Wagner's inspiration for 'der Ring'...!!!

Anyway listen - try this. So it (the ring) doesn't show up on a contact? And you're sure it's not the paper? Have you duplicated it on several prints - different papers? And it's definitely not on the film? Try to see what happens when you shift the neg in the carrier - does the ring move with it? Also try changing the orientation of the lens, carrier - and light source if possible. Each of these things you should try independently, and see if you can determine a relationship...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Are there any stray light sources in your darkroom? Light leaks from your enlarger. Reflective surfaces in the vicinity of the enlarger?
    Louie

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Looks like when I mounted my lensboard wrong, so I get a light leak at the edge of it.
    /matti

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Poco View Post
    But basically it's just a matter of taking off the lens (or looking down through the negative stage) and hunting for any source of a bright circle and flocking it.
    As we say in English, flock that for a game of soldiers...

I assume the circle doesn't appear on a lightly fogged piece of paper that was NOT exposed using the enlarger.

Cheers,

R.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Williams View Post
    Ok -... 4x5 glass negative carrier, ...
    Newton ring? Was it just the one print?

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Oh...Wagner

Quote Originally Posted by Kapono View Post
    Newton ring? Was it just the one print?
    Sorry, I did not quite catch on to Ole's post earlier. Der Ringe des Niebelungen...

Maybe introducing moist air over the neg will cause just enough expansion on the emulsion side to warp the neg to make a newton ring. Try a non-glass carrier. Really dry air, or nitrogen, is good for dusting off if you use a compressed gas. Blowing by breath to dust off is pretty humid. Any other ideas?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I printed again with a different lens (that being the only variable change) and it came out fine, so the problem is likely either with the lens itself, or the mounting. Thank you all for your input.
    If you can't answer a man's argument, all is not lost; you can still call him vile names.
    - Elbert Hubbard

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If it's a problem relating to the focal length of the lens maybe the gap between the neg and the condensor was not set right for that lens. You can get similar effects when you set the gap overly wide as if for a 35mm neg and use a MF neg and lens.
    Gary Beasley

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin