Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,960   Posts: 1,523,069   Online: 1098

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format

Circular Marks on Print

I have been back and forth through the forum looking for an answer to this problem and I'm coming up dry. I am getting circular- or semi circular - marks on my prints and I can't figure out why. The attached photo is an example of one, but I have other prints where there is a very visible complete circle burned into the center of the image. What could be causing this? Thanks.

Peter
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img001.jpg  
    If you can't answer a man's argument, all is not lost; you can still call him vile names.
    - Elbert Hubbard

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Three guesses:

1) problem with the enlarger light source;

2) problem with the condensers or mixing box;

3) reflection off of the rim of the enlarger lens.

Matt

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    my guess would be the possibility that theres a circle shape on the trays you process the prints in. if you happen to develop the print face down in a tray with a raised circle in the bottom it could cause that perhaps.

like I said... merely a guess.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Is there a hair on the top (facing the light source) of the enlarger lens? It looks very soft, like something not in the plane of focus.

- Randy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Tell us what enlarger, format, etc... was and maybe we can take some educated guesses..! I'm wondering if you placed some sort of mildly radioactive object on top of the paper box.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    What type of enlarger are you using? (Condenser/diffusion/cold light)

Since it is a darker circle, it probably is not something in the light path -- that would be lighter than the rest of the image.

Something that different in tonality should be visible when using the neg carrier without a neg -- put a white piece of paper on the baseboard and see if you can see the circle. If you can, then start changing things (focus, position of condensers, blocking possible sources of reflections, etc).

Its time to play dectective!

Vaughn

PS...nice image...

PS2...Sparky has a point -- lightly fog a piece of paper w/ room light and process it to see if it is the paper.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Ok - The paper is fine. I am using a Beseler 45MX condenser enlarger, 6x8cm negative, 4x5 glass negative carrier, Ilford MGIV Pearl 8x10 paper, El Nikor 105mm lens. Developed in Nova tank, Dektol, Ilford Rapid Fix. Whatever it is, it's really weird.
    If you can't answer a man's argument, all is not lost; you can still call him vile names.
    - Elbert Hubbard

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    How old is the enlarger bulb? I wonder if it has shed some of it's tungston onto the glass unevenly...

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    That looks like a "Niebelungen-ring", so named fron Wagner's habit of using his beer stein as a paper weight to keep the finished sheets in place when he was composing.

Any chance of something with a circular bottom having rested on your paper?
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Are you using a mask in your 4x5 carrier to the 6x8 negative size? Not sure how this would cause your problem but it would cut down on strong light that might cause relections.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin