Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,455   Posts: 1,570,507   Online: 1040

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Images
    I have been using a Gralab 300 timer for both Enlarging and timing film development for almost three years now. I think I am now ready to move to something with a little more control and repeatability. I'm looking for suggestions. Should I go with a digital times (Yilkes! I said digital on APUG!!&#33 or should I grab an old Time o' light? What are you using?

Brian

ps,
    This times will be used with both an Omega D2 (for 6x7 anf 4x5) and a B600 (35mm)

hi!

The Time-O-Lite is an old favorite. I used it 25 years ago in art school. But I would go with the digital timer if I were you. I have a digital timer as part of my Ilford Multi 500H head. It allows for burn in time, and up to ten pre sets, making a print requiring several burn ins quite easy to repeat.
    - William Levitt

Brian, check out the Besseler analog enlarging timer, with the foot controller. They also make a digital model, if you want to spend the additional money. The foot controller is a must-have accessory. Continue to use your Gralab 300 to time processing procedures. That's what it does the best. The luminous dial is safe for film, if you keep it about three, or four feet away. I've been using that combination for many years with no problems.

I use a digital Kearsarge 301; it's industrial-strength, bulletproof etc, $249.95 at B&H. Yes there are cheaper with more features, but this thing was used daily at a pro lab before I got ahold of it maybe 10 years ago, and I think it's got a couple hundred thousand more miles in it.

Otherwise, I'd be strongly inclined to consider an RH Designs Stopclock www.rhdesigns.co.uk/ since I print with the f-stop timing method anyway.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    </span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (bmacphoto.com @ Oct 16 2002, 08:16 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>I have been using a Gralab 300 timer for both Enlarging and timing film development for almost three years now. I think I am now ready to move to something with a little more control and repeatability. I&#39;m looking for suggestions. Should I go with a digital times (Yilkes&#33; I said digital on APUG&#33;&#33;&#33 or should I grab an old Time o&#39; light? What are you using?

Brian

ps,
    This times will be used with both an Omega D2 (for 6x7 anf 4x5) and a B600 (35mm)</td></tr></table><span id='postcolor'>
    I have used an fstop timer for years, it gives my absolute control in my printing. It is manufactured by a British company, RH Designs and I can recommend it and would suggest that you give it the once over.
    "Digital circuits are made from analogue parts"
    Fourtune Cookie-Brooklyn May 2006

Images
    Thank you one and all&#33;
    hi!

A metronome (or other audible timer is the only way to go to get exact repeatability. And use a card to uncover and cover the print. Never have the timer do it for you. I wrote about this in an article "On Printing", which was originally published in View Camera magazine. It can be found at www.michaelandpaula.com under "Writings." Although I use a metronome for contact printing, the same principles hold for enlarging. Use of an audible timer will cut your darkroom time by 30%, more or less, with more consistent results, particularly when dodging or burning.

Michael A. Smith

The Besseler analog timer that I use has audible beeper capability. The only difficulty I have with the audible setting is that I can&#39;t hear it. I&#39;ve lost so much of my hearing ability that the audible feature is useless. I really like the foot control capability of those timers, however.

Images
    I can see the advantages of a metronome, but I honestly can image using it without going nuts&#33; Plus how would I hear it over my music&#33; Gotta play Credance full blast while printing... always&#33;

Brian
    hi!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    and I can&#39;t count without my fingers...

I can understand how using it would be faster though... although in the total picture it wouldn&#39;t make much difference.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin