Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,489   Posts: 1,542,939   Online: 875

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tmike View Post
    Synedoche?

...French guy teaching me English....

Thanks, that's cool. I won't use it anytime soon, though.

Well, Greek first (sunekdokhe), then by way of Latin (synecdoche) which was kept as such for a long time in the French language until 1521 (sinodoche) and then 1730 (synecdoque). In English, the first recorded apparition is in Wyclif's Bible in 1388 as synodoches. So the word probably made its way in the English language with the Normans, and might have bounced back to France afterwards, unless it was vernacularized independently in each language.

The modern word in English is the Latin one, Synecdoche, and the French one is phonemically identical, having been adopted during the early Enlightenments, a moment at which it must have been fashionable to revert vernacular forms (sinodoche) to their ancestral versions (synecdoche).
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    [quote=mhv;452676] snip
    It is also a synecdoche for film taken in its material aspect. Technical icons like film rebate in turn seem to be a synecdoche for cool, macho, beautiful, etc, when it wears its technical nature on its sleeve....

Michel - I too reached for my dictionary but it's an appropriate word and I think your crisp analysis describes pretty well my feelings about use of the rebate.

Next time I'm balancing a glass of wine on my stomach at an exhibition opening I will find a way to bring that word into my critique. Pretentious? Moi?!

Thanks, Tony

Shooter
    Multi Format
    pretentious or not - (I do it sometimes too, I guess - hell- everyone does it with polaroid negs!) - it adds an extra layer of something which can be useful at times. It's all about the tools in your kit. Pretentious is adding something because someone else does without understanding what effect it has, and not USING it to your advantage. i.e.- someone using a tripod because they think it makes them look professional - but not actually attaching the camera properly to it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Jonathan,
    So what exactly is the "extra layer of something"?
    What is the "it" you are using to your advantage?

I think Roger and Michael have given some concrete examples of "the picture looks better with a thin black frame" and their reasons why. Do you have some others? I would accept its just fashionable as an answer if fashion happens to be an important element in having work accepted or appreciated at a point in time. Is following a fashion pretension? My contention is yes, often it is.

Tony

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Egan View Post
    Michel - I too reached for my dictionary but it's an appropriate word and I think your crisp analysis describes pretty well my feelings about use of the rebate.

Next time I'm balancing a glass of wine on my stomach at an exhibition opening I will find a way to bring that word into my critique. Pretentious? Moi?!

Thanks, Tony
    Gee Tony, you should come to mine this Friday in Montreal, and I'll recite the whole dictionary for you while we finish this 4L of exhibition wine!

Cheers,
    Michel
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    35mm
    Reticenti - can you expand a bit on why you thought this technique added to the picture? I am interested. Did it make the picture seem more "authentic"? Did a "raw and unfinished" presentation augment the subject matter? Was it the "novelty" value of different kind of framing? Or was it per Rogers response a frame for a high key background? Appreciate your input. Thanks
    It was a 2 frame picture and it was a multiple exposure abstract photo. It gave it more of a raw and unfinished look.
    It is in the office of Prospective students at the university of nevada, reno.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I am wondering if it is considered pretensious for printers (of lithographs and other etchings) to show the edge of their prints where the edge of the stone or plate makes an impression on the paper.

Are they just showing off that they use the whole stone or plate?

Not showing the rebate is just one of the many Rules of Photography that are meant to be broken.

Vaughn

Edited to bring myself back on topic...

I have filed out 35mm and 6x6 negativer carriers (Omega) with no problems for our students. Fortunately, no one asked me to turn a 4x5 neg carrier into a full-frame carrier yet -- that's a lot of filing! Using a jewery saw and file, I have also turned 35mm neg carriers to print 2 or 3 35mm negatives in a line...it is fun to see what the students can do with those!

I draw lines on the carrier and then use a bastard file to remove up to the line -- I find that gets me a pretty good, even retangular hole.
    Last edited by Vaughn; 04-20-2007 at 04:22 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin