Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,849   Posts: 1,582,850   Online: 710

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

Enlarging the sides of negatives

I recently saw a framed picture that had the edge of the film developed on the print. For instance, I saw the words: Ilford hp5. I don't know what it's called, but you could see the type of film he used on the print.
    My question is how did the person achieve this? When I used the enlarger, the 35mm frame fit perfectly, so how would you go about getting the entire frame edge to edge to show through?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The edge of the film is called the rebate. You can include the rebate in the print in two ways. One is to file out the opening of a glassless carrier. That will give you a ragged edge that will look something like this:

http://www.apug.org/gallery/showphot...00&ppuser=5854

The other option is to use a glass carrier that allows you to print the entire negative -- I do that will all of my 4x5 enlargements, and all of my 5x7 contact prints.

Sanders

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    So, you have come across the ernest anti-cropping clique in photography who insist on showing you a dark outline sometimes including frame number and film type for the sole purpose of, well, telling you it's not cropped?! I usually find this distracting and a little pretentious. As if every final picture you want to present has to be contained within a fixed aspect ratio. As if every viewfinder shows you precisely 100% of what ends up on the negative.

As Sanders said if you have a glass carrier one size up from your film format it's easy enough. You can even print the sprocket holes on 35mm if you think that turns on the viewer.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Egan View Post
    So, you have come across the ernest anti-cropping clique in photography who insist on showing you a dark outline sometimes including frame number and film type for the sole purpose of, well, telling you it's not cropped?! I usually find this distracting and a little pretentious.
    Dear Tony,

Sometimes, yes. Other times, it's a useful 'cheat' to stop light areas near the edge of the image 'leaking out'.

Cheers,

R.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I agree with Tony, but Sanders' photos are much better than mine, any way I print them. That's what really counts.

Shooter
    35mm
    I wouldn't do it every time, but in the pictures I saw, it really added to the picture. thanks for the info

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Jim, I agree with you re Sanders photos and I should point out my comments were not in direct response to his work. My post was a "carry over" of a discussion I had with another photographer at an exhibition recently.

Reticenti - can you expand a bit on why you thought this technique added to the picture? I am interested. Did it make the picture seem more "authentic"? Did a "raw and unfinished" presentation augment the subject matter? Was it the "novelty" value of different kind of framing? Or was it per Rogers response a frame for a high key background? Appreciate your input. Thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The rebate is also a very loaded aesthetic device in photography. It's either as sign of absolute-uncrop, sometimes the only alternative to sprocket holes for people who work in larger formats.

It is also a synecdoche for film taken in its material aspect. Technical icons like film rebate in turn seem to be a synecdoche for cool, macho, beautiful, etc, when it wears its technical nature on its sleeve. Witness #320: I've seen a clothes ad once for a famous brand that was styled after the look of a contact sheet, which of course shows the rebate. However, instead of the familiar "Kodak 6402" etc types of marking, it was the name of the brand, some meaningless numbers, and a few dingbats meant to imply vague technicality.

Of course you could also achieve the same effect with EXIF data.
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I shoot a Holga and I center my negs in a 6x6 carrier and set my easel's masks outside of the black edge. I do this because aesthetically, cropping a more or less symetrically vignetted image is problematic. Not cropping it but trimming the black border would be no less an assertion of "full-framedness," agaiin due to the vignetting. I merely include the raw edge because it seems to enhance the low tech nature of the Holga. I feel no attraction to printing the rebate in any other context, with any other format.

http://www.apug.org/gallery/showphot...0&ppuser=15085
    Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. In velit arcu, consequat at, interdum sit amet, consequat in, quam.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mhv View Post
    It is also a synecdoche for film taken in its material aspect.
    Synedoche?

...French guy teaching me English....

Thanks, that's cool. I won't use it anytime soon, though.

Michael Robert Taylor
    Ottawa

I wish I'D said that.... Bartlett

http://www.apug.org/gallery1/browsei...imageuser=7358

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin