Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,117   Posts: 1,613,214   Online: 837

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Below Lens Cotrast Filters?

I recently got a new enlarger. An Omega DII. I have mostly printed with Besler enlargers in the past an am sued to having a filter drawer. This enlarger came with a set of below lens Ilfard multigrade filters and dose not have a filter drawer above the lens. My friend who, Like me has always used above lens filters, says that the below lens filters will be problematic if any dust gets on them or they get scratched another experienced person I know says that it is not really a concern being as close to the lens as it is. I just want to know what others thoughts on this are or if anyone has a definitive answer. Thanks a lot.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I use below the lens filters exclusively. I have the capability for filters above the lens but prefer the below lens filters. I find the issue of dust to be a non issue since I am religious about storing the filters appropriately.
    Art is a step from what is obvious and well-known toward what is arcane and concealed.

Visit my website at http://www.donaldmillerphotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I agree with Don. The below-the-lens filters are the better choice for your enlarger. They can easily be switched for split-grade printing and offer no problem when kept clean, which isn't too difficult. There is no optical disadvantage I could ever see or measure with below-the-lens filters, but not having to disturb the setup to change filters is a clear advantage.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Dear asaphoto,

If you decide you prefer to place your filters above the negative there is an old issue of Photo Techniques that shows how to build a simple filter drawer for your enlarger. I'm guessing the article is about 3-5 years old.

Neal Wydra

Shooter
    Large Format
    I too use a DII as my main enlarger.. I use below-the lens filters and find them much more convenient, except for when i'm switching lenses a lot.
    Otherwise, i've never experienced a lack of sharpness or anything.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin