Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,480   Posts: 1,542,696   Online: 860

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Big Prints, here I come!!

I have three boxes of 42" Forte Polygrade on their way to me now... I wonder how much the 10 000 gallons of dektol's going to cost me! Just excited. I have to figure out how the heck to process this stuff!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Big PVC tubes, end caps...roll 'em back and forth?
    Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. In velit arcu, consequat at, interdum sit amet, consequat in, quam.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    When I lived in a small apartment, I would tape a 4' x 5' print to the tile wall above the bathtub. Develop, stop and fix with sponges and then wash in the tub. A little wasteful as far as chemistry use but very successful.

How much space do you have?
    Richard

Why are there no speaker jacks on a stereo camera?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just to prevent people from wasting time... I wasn't so much looking for solutions ( I'm sure I'll figure something out and re-post if it's a big problem...) so much as wanting to 'shout out' or something. But thanks for the ideas so far. The tube thing I don't think would work for me because it would be too labor-intensive. I'd imagine I'll just pump developer through a hose either in my sink or against a glass sheet on the wall..

Shooter
    Large Format
    This post got me thinking ... a big sheet of plastic resting against the wall. The bottom of the sheet is in a old rain gutter. Gutter empties into a large bucket. In the bucket is a small aquarium pump with a long tube. Hose down the print with the tube .... use the pump to empty the bucket into cheapo gallon plastic paint pail for reusing the chemical and then just dump in the next chemical in the pump bucket. Kinda makes me want to try it just to see if it would work.

Is Forte Polygrade fiber paper? Until it soaks up the developer it's going to be big trouble keeping a huge sheet of paper flat ....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Actually I was thinking something similar - but with a sheet of glass - the plexi's going to absorb the chems too much I figure (would also be more expensive, heavier - and I have a glass shop about 5 metres from where I live!). That would rest directly in my sink (6' plus) so any spillover/splash would go straight to the drain. But I WAS actually thinking either saltwater aquarium pump - OR a rotary vane type (dev doesn't contact anything but silicone tubing) unit. That would feed directly from a 1-4 gallon dev bottle I figure.

I'm not too worried about paper handling... I'll just roll it when transporting.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Seems to me it might be time to investigate either:

1) mixing your own chemistry; or
    2) eBay clearance sales of old chemistry!!; or
    3) buying in quantity, e.g.:

http://www.photoformulary.com/Deskto...ion=0&langID=0

Have you considered wallpaper trays - I've only used them for wallpaper, but I've certainly seen them recommended for photographic purposes

Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'ts been a while since I did really big prints, but I used wallpaper trays and rolled the paper scroll-style back and forth. It doesn't take much chemistry, and not much space either.

-- MW
    Men, said the Devil, are good to their brothers: they don’t want to mend their own ways, but each others.
    -- Piet Hein

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have always thought that the biggest problem with large prints would be the focussing, I mean who has an arm that long?

I have been contemplating the same thing Jonathan. I will be interested to hear your trials and tribulations.

Patrick

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Okay Patrick - I'll let you know. I've done biggies in the past - but it was horizontally with a 2KW Durst head on an 8x10 enlarger - and it was color - so the processing was a no-brainer. I guess it's all pretty much the same - you just have to 'think bigger'...

Matt - thanks for the link! I've been meaning to try the ansco - though Dektol seems much cheaper! (20L of STOCK for about as many dollars). But if the ansco wins out, well, it wins out. I guess I should try the amidol also - some people seem to like it with the Polygrade... or was that Poly Warmtone...?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin