Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,569   Posts: 1,646,570   Online: 988

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    5x7 or 6 1/2 x 8 1/2. 8x10 is too square, and as mentioned previously, 4x5 is just too small to start with. I would like to shoot 5x12 also, but that means INVESTING in another camera and holders. Which I will do someday. Just not soon. For the same reason, 4x10 is too small because it's too small for contact printing, and it is too big to enlarge without having a horse barn for a darkroom.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I don't see how a format can be good or bad -- just the way prople use them would determine that. The 4x5/8x10 format is a bit blocky, but it never stops me from making compositionally fine full-frame images with it.

I learned with a Rollei TLR, so I learned to compose with the square (at least after my first photoclass at college when I slowly came to the realization that I did not have to use the whole sheet of photopaper). It is a fun format, one is capable of creating beautiful internal movement within the square.

As JJ wrote..."There are enough subjects to keep a photographer busy for a lifetime in any single format."

This was the reason I happily used one lens per camera for many many years (besides not being able to afford more). I did not worry about the shots I was "missing" by not having a long or short lens, but just concentrated on the unlimited number of things/types of light I could capture with the lens I had.

Vaughn

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    I learned with a Rollei TLR, so I learned to compose with the square (at least after my first photoclass at college when I slowly came to the realization that I did not have to use the whole sheet of photopaper).
    I wonder if that has anything to do with my predispostion for squares... my first camera was a yashica TLR...! hmm.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I like things in 1.6 aspect ratio. To do that, I crop a little bit on 35mm, and plan to get a 8X5 camera, which is exactly 1.6 aspect ratio.

Alex W.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin