Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,499   Posts: 1,571,575   Online: 1165

Shooter
    Holga

Beseler 23C newbie question

Hi, I'm taking a look at a used Beseler 23c (blue body) soon. Any tips on problem areas to look for? Thanks in advance.

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    check the bellows for leaks

also take a look at the gears in the rack to be sure they are do not have broken teeth.
    http://www.aclancyphotography.com

Shooter
    Holga
    thanks ann, I'll be sure to do that

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

23C

They are pretty rugged.

I have one of the old gray ones that I bought in the late 60's. Nothing has ever broken and, other than infrequent cleaning and a little lubrication, tightening some screws, and realignment, I have done nothing to it. I have no problems with it.

I also have a color head for it that I got in the mid 70's that I don't use anymore. It is the "new" blue color. Other than it needs a new lamp, I never had any problems with it either.

The Beseler products are very well built. The only things I have replaced were the enlarger lenses - both Nikon. I got a better quality 50mm (also Nikon) and the 80 developed fungus so I had to replace it (also with a newer Nikon).

The 23C isn't the state of the art and it isn't the prettiest I have seen but it is hell bent for stout and, for its price, delivers solid value

Dan
    Daniel Williams
    Enumclaw WA USA

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I've handled a good number of them and the most common problem I've seen is the teeth on the crank that raises and lowers the head. They can be replaced easily enough - Freestyle sell the replacements - but other than that, they are tanks.

- Randy

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hi Dominic1,
    Welcome to APUG and the darkside!
    Every Beseler I've ever owned was a real workhorse lasting decades.
    Get the best lens you can afford and may all your prints turn out to be what you dreamed.

Shooter
    Holga
    Thanks for the advice everyone.

I ended up buying the Beseler. It looks like it's in pretty good shape. No light leaks from the bellows or broken sprocket teeth.
    The bulb wiring looks like a bit of a fire hazard, so I'm going to try and replace it.
    It came with Beslar 75 and 50mm lenses.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    If you would prefer to replace the lamp housing, I have one that you can have for the cost of shipping. The wiring is in fine shape and the socket works well. Just contact me off list if you would like it.

- Randy

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin