Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,546   Posts: 1,572,922   Online: 977

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Enlarger bulb power/negative size question

Hi,

Is 150W enlarger bulb strong enough for 4x5 and 5x7 negatives? Or 250W is must? I mean, to have "normal" exposure times, not long ones.

What is "normal" enlarger bulb power for 8x10 negatives?

Thank you.
    Bosnia... You don't have to be crazy to live here, but it helps...
    No things in life should be left unfinis

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Condensor or diffusion? How good is the light box?

FWIW:

My Beseler 4x5 condensor head is 150watts tungsten
    My Beseler 4x5 diffusion head is I think 200 watts of halogen?
    My Durst 4x5 diffusion is 400 watts of halogen

The 150 watt condensor head is likely the most powerful of the two. The Durst the weakest.

It's not the size it's how you use it

Shooter
    Large Format
    I converted my 5X7 to 1000 watt lamp.
    Art is a step from what is obvious and well-known toward what is arcane and concealed.

Visit my website at http://www.donaldmillerphotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thing is next:

Following information about Philips stopping manufacturing its enlalrger bulbs, I ordered "life supply" of them. I work with 35mm and 6x7 negatives for now. But, I seriously think about going LF. So, I think, at time when I start LF and buy enlarger (if 4x5 or 5x7 I will buy enlarger, 8x10 probably contact copying) will I be able to use bulbs I will have. So, it is general question, I don't know will enlarger be condenser or diffuser type, or anything else for now...

Thanks Nick and Donald for answer.
    Bosnia... You don't have to be crazy to live here, but it helps...
    No things in life should be left unfinis

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Don't worry about contact printing. You can always rig up something. More likely you'll want less light for contact printing not more.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    The standard bulb for Omega D5's condenser light source for printing 4x5's is 75 watts (bulb PH211). Plenty enough light for 16x20 prints from 4x5 negs using the middle f/stops on a 135mm lens -- basic exposure times around 25 seconds for most Ilford papers.

Vaughn

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    This is true.
    but I use a 250w bulb for more speed. granted I go through more bulbs but the speed is great.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    The standard bulb for Omega D5's condenser light source for printing 4x5's is 75 watts (bulb PH211). Plenty enough light for 16x20 prints from 4x5 negs using the middle f/stops on a 135mm lens -- basic exposure times around 25 seconds for most Ilford papers.

Vaughn

Shooter
    35mm RF
    This has always puzzled me. Bigger neg = more light going through and less enlargement. Logically, therefore, LESS power needed. I've never thought hard about it but I was surprised that my Durst 138 head used 2x 1000W.

Cheers,

R.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    But smaller neg lets you focus the light more. Bigger neg you spread it out. That's my guess.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Carnie View Post
    This is true.
    but I use a 250w bulb for more speed. granted I go through more bulbs but the speed is great.
    Assuming you are using a D5, are you use a piece of heat absorbing glass to keep the neg from baking? I know Omega recommends a piece if using a 150w PH212 bulb in the D5. The 250w seems like it would create a lot of heat the enlarger was not designed for.

Personally, I like working with exposures around 20 or 25 seconds...gives me a lot of time to evenly dodge and burn, and allows for finer adjustments of exposure times without worrying about fractions of seconds...while working at the sharpest f/stops of the lens.

Your milage may differ...

Vaughn

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin