In reading this, I'm reminded of one "sneaky trick" that I have used in the past for portraiture - but I can't remember exactly how successful it was in other applications. Many moons ago, I was rooting around (uh ... if you are from OZ, read "rummaging" - although there isn't a great deal of difference in any of the meanings ..) in the "Used - We're Trying to Dump This Stuff" - bins, and came up with two 40.5 mm "soft" filters. I bought them because that was the size that fit my Rodenstock enlarging lenses. Wonderful for softening and minimizing blemishes in portraiture.
This got me to thinking ... the function of a "close-up" or "portrait" auxilliary lens is to shorten focal length ... allowing close focusing. The same optical principle works on an enlarging lens as well as a camera lens ... so to gain a greater magnification at a shorter column height .... I obtained a 40.5 - 67 mm filter adapter, and with my existing 67 to 60 Bayonet adapter - I mounted a Hasselblad "Proxar" - one of them ... possibly the "1.0", on the Rodenstock 80mm in the enlarger .... and ... It WORKED!! ... at least well enough to produce "good" portraiture.

I can't remember - possibly I did not "wring" it out thoroughly in a "picky" application as a landscape - or - I have a photograph of a Bandstand in Lichtentaler Alee', Baden-Baden, Germany, with delicate, complex wooden "filigree" woodwork - I'll try it on that one... and try to determine *IF* the image quality suffers, and how severely it is affected.