Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,224   Posts: 1,532,644   Online: 853

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Images
    I have Nikkor's for both 35mm and 6X7, now am looking for one for my 4x5. What focal length do I need for 4X5? 150mm?
    hi!

I asked the same basic question awhile back. It's either 135mm or 150mm. The 135mm will give you larger prints from the same height. 135mm are supposed to be for 9x12 but all/almost all should cover 4x5 just fine. I got a 150mm because I found one cheap.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I got a 135m lens so I could print 20x24 on the basebard. A 150mm lens would have required me to raise the head farther than my column goes. Had my column been wall-mounted with an adjustable-height base, I would have gone for a 150mm lens because it bends the light through smaller angles.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I found myself an "as new" but used, 150mm Rodenstock Rodagon. Excellent lens. I'd certainly recommend a 150 for the extra "coverage" - but many swear by a 135mm.

Images
    On the same topic, does anyone have any opinions of the 135 mm F5.6 Rodenstock Rodagon Enlarging Lens? IS it comparable to the Nikkor?
    hi!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    IMHO, you would be hard pressed to tell the results from different modern enlarging lenses - ie which lens made which print. The offerings from Rodenstock, Schneider, Nikon will all produce excellent results.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    </span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (paul owen @ Nov 27 2002, 08:09 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>The offerings from Rodenstock, Schneider, Nikon will all produce excellent results.</td></tr></table><span id='postcolor'>
    Paul,

I would agree. However, a second-hand 135mm Rodagon or Componon-S would be easier to find than a 135mm EL-Nikkor. You should check whether the lenses are single or multi-coated. The majority of Rodagons and Componons around are only single coated version whereas the most (all?) of the EL-Nikkor offers are indeed multi-coated lenses. The enlarger lenses are usually not labeled as single or multi-coated versions (unlike camera lenses). But you can easily recognize single coated lenses by their glass surface reflections.

tschmid

My Nikor 105 is certainly multicoated from the looks of it and my Rodagon 150 is just as certainly single coated. My 50mm Companon-S could be multicoated from it&#39;s looks but I am not positive. I just have to wonder how much difference it makes when printing B&W. I have several single coated 4x5 lenses that compete quite well with my multicoated lenses.

I am assuming you feel that multicoating would help resolve flare problems in enlarging. In Ctein&#39;s enlarger lens test there doesn&#39;t seem to be any correlation between coated and uncoated in his flare testing. I am assuming Nikors to be coated and Rodagons not. His testing results and his conclusion is that flare is not a problem with the newer 6 element lenses, and significantly he doesn&#39;t mention coatings.

I obviously agree with Paul&#39;s statement as I have one from each manufacturer simply because I found each one used at a good price.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    </span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (BobF @ Nov 27 2002, 11:52 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>I just have to wonder how much difference it makes when printing B&W. &nbsp;I have several single coated 4x5 lenses that compete quite well with my multicoated lenses. </td></tr></table><span id='postcolor'>
    BobF,

as always: it depends. Generally, better coating delivers better contrast and better contrast delivers better resolution an sharpness. Of course, an enlarger lens does not have to deal with environmental light, but inner-lens-flare is an issue, too. This is totally independend of whether you are printing color or B&W. Whether you may profit from multi coating depends much on the enlargement factors used. And if you happen to make partial enlargements, you may need higher magnification factors with LF, too. Particularly, an enlarger lens for 35mm-format sould be multi coated.

The difference between a multi-coated and a single coated lens can be as much as one paper grade (at higher mag.-factors). This may even be an advantage, depending on the contrast of your negatives and because maximum sharpness is not always required. I&#39;ve got an old Componon from the 60s (most probably not coated at all) which sometimes helps me to print negatives that are a little too contrasty.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    </span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (BobF @ Nov 27 2002, 11:52 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>I am assuming Nikors to be coated and Rodagons not. &nbsp; </td></tr></table><span id='postcolor'>
    AFAIK, this isn&#39;t always true. Current Rodagon and Componon Lenses are MC. The "Apo" versions of them (7-element) have always been MC (except perhaps very old ones). All Rodagon-G lenses (6-element) have been multi coated, too.
    So if Ctein didn&#39;t state, whether his test samples have been MC or not, we can only speculate about any correlations.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin