Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,986   Posts: 1,523,990   Online: 792

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Pinhole

Omega D2 (with Variable Condenser) question

Hi:

I am looking at a D2 with variable condenser and 50 mm lens.

I am only interested in it for 6x6 and up.

I have read 'lens cones' are needed for different focal lengths.

What do these lens cones look like and are they homebrewable?

Does a nominal cone size work over a range of f.l. ? (Like someone using a 150 or a 161 mm lens for the same format).

Thanks

Murray
    Murray

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The cones are really extended lensboards, they are used for lenses 135mm and longer. Shorter lenses need flat boards.
    There is more detail available at Harry Taylor's omega enlarger site (http://www.classic-enlargers.com/).
    I was recently considering how to go about doing a homebrew, but they show up fairly regularly on the auction thing, I don't think trying to replicate the cones would be too practical.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A cone is definitely needed when printing 4x5 negatives. But I have my 80mm lens on a flat lensboard and it seems to work fine for 6x6 negatives.

Midwest Photo is a good source of cones.
    Louie

Shooter
    Pinhole
    thank you
    Murray

Shooter
    Multi Format
    For 50 to 90 use the flat lens board. I use a short cone for 105, and a longer cone for 135 and 150.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I extended the lens board of my D2 using a 4" piece of ABS sewer pipe. Actually it was a fitting used to join two pices together. I use it for my 162 mm lens. I use it for 4x5 and 6x7 work.

You have to spend some time filing the piece so both ends makes two parallel surfaces. It was actually easy to do.

I drilled small holes in the edges of the pipe to hold #2 high low screws. I think #2 sheet metal screws will work too.

When I get home I will take a digi pix and post it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That was kind of along the lines of what I was planning, before I got to look at my newly aquired D II, but it turned out that it had a proper cone with it. A 4 inch pipe cap would probably be just about perfect though.
    What I need now is a flat board, which would be even easier to fabricate, but I expect that I'll buy one from *bay. I've already got enough projects in the queue.

Shooter
    Pinhole
    So if one has nicely 'squared' ends, the trouble spent aligning the enlarger isn't wasted on a homebrew hack job:O)

That was one of the thoughts that occurred to me...
    Murray

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Murray@uptowngallery View Post
    So if one has nicely 'squared' ends, the trouble spent aligning the enlarger isn't wasted on a homebrew hack job:O)

That was one of the thoughts that occurred to me...
    I am lucky enough to have access to a digital protractor here at my workplace. I simply placed the work piece on the bed of a table saw and measured the relative angles. I filed until I got the same angle in all directions on both sides while sitting on the table saw bed.

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Excuse my ignorance, but it seems odd to need not only a different lens but a different condenser, from what I read.

If one has to change condensers to mate with the lens f.l. (or really, the negative size, I guess), then what function does the variable condenser serve...to properly position the matching condenser...then what did people do with the D2 with NO variable condenser?

This all seems odd, but I guess it'll become natural...
    Murray

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin