Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,934   Posts: 1,585,600   Online: 639

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Hicks View Post
    Until a careless shipper broke two filters on my 138S head, and I tried to get replacements, I though they were the D's B's too. After that I just thought they were B's.

Cheers,

Roger
    Durst always claimed they would continue to supply parts for 10 years after they ceased manufacture of any given model or something similar to that.
    Since they shut down manufacture of enlargers altogether, I suspect that claim has gone out the window and now they are just selling outstanding stock.

So how long out of production was your enlarger when it was dropped.

p.s. I hope you kicked the shipper in the B's.
    Percepts,
    An old dog learning new tricks...

Black and White Landscape Prints

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ben-s View Post

I'm watching a few different units on e*bay at the moment, a couple of LPL 7700s, and a Durst Modular 70, which I thought looked quite good.
    There aren't many meoptas on there at the moment.
    Well if you can drive as far as Cambridge, the one below is an absolute bargain at the current price but it is finishing early tomorrow morning. Hope you see this in time!!!!!!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Magifax-4-Enla...QQcmdZViewItem

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks Peter, I did see it in time, and bid on it, but I didn't win.
    Bah Humbug.
    I sat there going up in £5 increments against someone's auto bid up to £40, then someone else pushed it to £50.
    Ah well... I'll keep looking (what's the emoticon for "rueful grin"?)
    Lens caps and cable releases can become invisible at will. :D

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Thanks for the advice everyone,
    Nice as it would be, I don't think I realistically have space for a 5x4 enlarger.
    I think I'll have to stick with a MF, at least for the time being.
    I have an old (1940s?) 5x4 enlarger - The Wasp - which is not much larger than my Opemus 6. It is a simple condensor enlarger without any modern luxuries like a filter draw but is solid and reliable.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by percepts View Post
    So how long out of production was your enlarger when it was dropped.
    Can't remember. The problem was about 20 years ago, and I don't know when the 138S ceased production.

Certainly, they junked an awful lot of perfectly serviceable enlargers when they got out of that market, rather than have to maintain them.

The shipping story was doubly sad as I had packed the head very thoroughly and they repacked it inadequately. I ended up getting quite a lot of compensation, not least because the idiot who arranged things was the son-in-law of the owner of the shipping company, and it had just been found out that he was cheating on the owner's daughter...

If I'd known what I know now, I could probably have sourced the parts (broken dichroic filters) from the filter manufacturer, not Durst.

Cheers,

Roger

Shooter
    35mm
    I sat there going up in £5 increments against someone's auto bid up to £40, then someone else pushed it to £50.
    This may be drifting a bit OT, but as one of our number just lost the chance to buy an item because of a misunderstanding of how best to use eBay, I thought I'd comment.... Most Internet auction sites, including eBay, employ a technique known as proxy bidding. You should not enter bids at eBay the way you would in a traditional live "outcry" auction -- the sort that's typically shown in movies. To use a proxy bidding system such as eBay, you should decide ahead of time how much you're willing to pay for an item. Make your decision based on a rational assessment of the item's value. In the case of eBay, you can perform a search and then click a little box on the left side of the screen that reads "Completed Listings," then click the "Show Items" button. This will show you all the completed auctions that match the search. If your item isn't too rare, chances are you'll find some similar items and therefore be able to judge what the market value is and decide if you're willing to pay that much for the item. If not, either hope for a bargain or search for another item.

Once you've decided your top value, enter it into eBay's bidding system. Even if your top bid is substantially over the current top bid, you won't pay your top value unless somebody else bids something very close to it. On eBay, the sale price is set by the second-highest bidder's bid! So if you and I are competing for an item and you bid $100 whereas I bid $50, you'll pay $51 (assuming a $1 increment at that value; I'm not sure if that's correct).

Bidding as you did, by incremental bidding, has several drawbacks. One is that you can easily get outbid at the end by somebody who bid more but whose bid you'd have been willing to beat. Another is that you can easily get caught up in a bidding war, where you and another incremental bidder both try to outbid each other. For instance, suppose you and I both subjectively value an item at $50, and we both start incremental bidding. If I enter the $50 bid, you might think, "oh, I'll just bid $1 more and get it; $1 isn't that much more," at which point the price goes to $51; then I bid $52, and so on. Sooner or later, one of us will be stuck paying $10 or $20 more than the item is worth. The seller, of course, will love this, but whoever wins could end up with buyer's remorse. Note that a bidding war like this really only requires one incremental bidder. That's what happened to you -- you were bidding incrementally against another bidder's fixed bid.

As an alternative to using eBay's proxy bidding, consider sniping. This practice is thoroughly described here, but briefly, it's just placing your high bid at the last possible moment. (Software and Web sites exist to assist in this practice, if you don't want to be chained to your computer when the auction ends. I use jBidWatcher for this purpose.) The main advantage is that you avoid irrational bidding wars, such as I just described. Sniping is, however, controversial; some people dislike snipers, but I personally don't, and in fact I firmly agree with the point of view expressed on the site I just referenced. I have yet to see a convincing anti-sniping argument. Sniping can, of course, fail; you can be outbid by a person who simply entered a higher proxy bid at the start, or badly-timed Internet sluggishness can prevent your bid from being entered. Still, on the whole it's the way I generally prefer to bid, with an earlier proper use of proxy bidding being my second choice.

Anyhow, best of luck finding an enlarger. If you use eBay for this purpose, I hope this post helps you do so more effectively in the future.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks Peter, I did see it in time, and bid on it, but I didn't win.
    Bah Humbug.
    Ah well... I'll keep looking (what's the emoticon for "rueful grin"?)
    Sorry about that Ben, better luck next time!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks to everyone who replied with valuable advice.
    I have now purchased a 6x7 machine from another APUG member.
    This fulfills my requirements nicely, and I have already made some very satisfactory prints with it.
    Lens caps and cable releases can become invisible at will. :D

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Hi all,
    This is just a tentative feeler question really;
    I currently have a Meopta Axomat 5 enlarger, which I really like- it's well built, has an angled column, and the focus stays where you put it.
    The downside is that it's limited to 35mm, and I have an increasing number of 645 negs that I want to print.

Thus I'm looking around for a bigger machine, without spending too much.
    I'd like to stick with an angled column if possible.
    I've been looking at the Opemus 6, which seems to be around £200 with a standard head.

What do people think of these units?
    Can anyone recommend any other suitable enlargers?
    I'm still using a Besseler 23C. After 35 years of printing it's still working flawlessly. The above-the-lens filter drawer and tilting lens stage are handy features, and also the 6x9 cm (max. format) capability.
    Last edited by panastasia; 08-13-2007 at 11:33 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    "Pictures are not incidental frills to a text; they are essences of our distinctive way of knowing." Stephen J. Gould

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    For a £200 budget you could obtain
    Meopta Magnifax for 35-6x9- rugged with a rangefinder and true 6x9 negative masking - The Meograde VC head is probably the one to go for

I personally favour Kaiser - they are well engineered German products accessories and spares are easy to come by as they are still in production- lamps are no problem 12v halogen Osram. You can get glassless inserts easily including one for panoramic formats. You can swop heads easily VC, Colour or Condensor. Above all the illumination source is a hybrid diffuser and condensor which will give you brighter images with approximately half a stop more contrast, and you can obtain various column heights and baseboards

You could get the 6x7 enlarger and if you wish can obtain a 6x9 condensor if you ever go to this negative size- very flexible modular system

Good Luck

Stewart

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin