Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,856   Posts: 1,582,983   Online: 1041

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Minolta 50mm 2.8 CE (Rokkor-X) enlarging lens

I have just spent about two hours researching the web trying to locate specifications for the above enlarging lens and came up empty handed. I recently won one on e**y and it performs well for large prints and softer at smaller (< 8x10) magnifications.

Does anyone in cyberspace have a spec sheet or know what magnification this lens will produce its optimal performance?

I did read that it was designed specifically for color printing and was optimized for greater than 10-12X enlargements, possibly even 15X.

I would sure appreciate getting a handle on the published numbers.

Thanks!

Fred

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I do not have a spec sheet, but that's my main enlarging lens & I've used if successfully for up to 11x14 with 35mm.

Craig

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    IIRC,W. Eugene Smith used that lens and extolled its virtues.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Images
    I use that lens for my 35mm. 2.8 is bright for focusing and the pre-set stopdown makes it hard for even me to screw up closing down after final focusing. Being able to easily ditch the click stops by puling down the ring makes it a nice lens if you use an enlarging meter. Sharpness has never been a problem for me.
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Either I was told or read somewhere that this lens was designed for enlargements 11X or larger and isn't supposed to perform well at 8X or smaller enlargements. I was hoping someone still had a spec sheet or there was info on the web that would confirm that.

Has anyone had that experience? I am seeing evidence that would imply the above is true but it also may be sample to sample variation.

Thanks!

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Hi All and those searching for Minolta information:

I have information from a very reliable source that Minolta optimized this lens for 15X - a 16x20 print. Some aberrations are present at smaller mags but the small size masks the problem. As print size increases, design elements come into play to minimize the aberrations at 16x20.

Question answered! I have been searching for this for quite some time!

And, I didn't think the lens was optimized at 16x20, more along the lines of the other lenses, 8X-10X.
    Last edited by Fred Aspen; 07-08-2007 at 03:20 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred Aspen View Post
    Hi All and those searching for Minolta information:

I have information from a very reliable source that Minolta optimized this lens for 15X - a 16x20 print. Some aberrations are present at smaller mags but the small size masks the problem. As print size increases, design elements come into play to minimize the aberrations at 16x20.

Question answered! I have been searching for this for quite some time!

And, I didn't think the lens was optimized at 16x20, more along the lines of the other lenses, 8X-10X.
    Can you mention your source? I have been using a Rokkor CE 30mm 2.8 for Minox and 16mm. I have heard this lens was optimized for 20x or so but have not seen any factory data to confirm it. I have a manual for the Minolta enlarger that states the 30mm lens is "optimized for 16mm and smaller" formats and the specs show the 30mm lens can produce "26x enlargements on the baseboard."
    Last edited by ic-racer; 07-10-2007 at 12:30 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    IC-Racer,

Yes, if you google MinMan you will find his website and his site contains much information on Minolta products. He also checked his lens spec sheet but the info was not available there and, if memory serves, I believe the information came from a magazine review of enlarging lenses from the late '80s that he had in his archive.

Anyway, his email contact address is on the website if you wish to query him on additional information. I am not on my other computer so I don't have his address available to me.

Fred

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Fred:
    I have 2 pieces of Minolta literature that contain information about their enlarging lenses. One is a promotional brochure about Minolta products and the other is the instruction manual for my Minolta Mod-III Color Enlarger. In both the following data is given:
    Magnification Ranges on Baseboard: 30mm lens: to 26X
    50mm lens: to 15X
    80mm lens: to 8.6X

Please note that these are "Magnification Ranges on Baseboard" and not "optimized for" numbers as some have quoted in this thread. The only mention of "optimum" in the literature is "The C.E. Rokkor-X lenses are computer-designed for optimum performance with the Minolta Color Enlarger, and provide high edge-to-edge resolution and contrast, even coverage and flatness of field".

Cordially, Howard Tanger

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Aspen View Post
    I did read that it was designed specifically for color printing and was optimized for greater than 10-12X enlargements, possibly even 15X.

I would sure appreciate getting a handle on the published numbers.

Thanks!

Fred

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Thanks, Howard, for the update. I realize this new information adds a bit of confusion to the answers received thus far. As I said earlier, the general consensus was that the lens was designed for large magnifications. This may have come from the fact the short focal length is made for large magnifications in the smaller formats and that may have been carried over to the 50 and the 80.

Your data stating 'up to 15X' would imply more traditional values similar to the Rodagon/Schneider lenses with specs of 2-15X with optimal performance around 8-10X.

If your brochures can shed any more light on the subject I would appreciate it. If not, I am going to assume the brochure is the guiding document and will operate under the above assumptions.

Thanks again!

Fred

This is a great site!
    Last edited by Fred Aspen; 07-13-2007 at 10:30 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin