Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,212   Posts: 1,532,086   Online: 1229

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Never had a problem, however, did start using an electronic one for additional features.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    I own the GraLab 300 and 400. The 400 is the auto reset version, both are similar except for this function and maximum time set; 300=60 minutes, 400=60 seconds. The safelight off during exposure function works the same for both. Very accurate and reliable. One caution though: they don't work with voltage stabilization, therefore, not recommended for color printing which requires stabilized voltage to avoid color shifts caused by changing lamp color temperature, which occurs during current fluctuations when other appliances are working in the same circuit.

I now use compensating timers for cold light printing and developer temperature change compensation.
    "Pictures are not incidental frills to a text; they are essences of our distinctive way of knowing." Stephen J. Gould

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by OPTheory View Post
    I can see that with the Gralab 500, if you put the second hand on the five--it could be off by a half second if you take it too far or too little. Even if you're slow to take the hand to the five, it'll turn on the enlarger before you're done rotating the arm to it.
    There's nothing wrong with that timer. I have one that's very old and it continues to work consistently and accurately. I've compared it against a quartz controlled electronic timer and they match.

There are two switches on the timer. The switch at the top left is used for focusing the enlarger. Set it to "focus" and the safelights are switched off and the enlarger is switched on. The timer is out of the circuit. At the top right there is another switch. This one powers the timer. Switch it off to set the time. Safelights and enlarger lamp will be switched off. When you are ready to make the exposure, flip this switch on. The timer is now in the circuit. The enlarger will be on for the preset amount of time. The safelights will turn on automatically at the end of the exposure time.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mhv View Post

However, I found that the gralab is perfect for timing film development: set the dev time, and agitate whenver the second needle is at the right position (30s or 1min, depending on my combo).
    Thats what I do too, there is something nice about the old analog clock face and makes it easer to time the agitation cycle.

I have a cold light and use a Zone VI compensating timer for my enlarger which works well for me. I will keep the Gralab for film developing.

--John

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Paul Horowitz who modified the Pentax Spot Meters also developed/designed the Zone VI compensating enlarging timer as well as the Zone VI film/paper compensating developer timer. I own all three and never found a need for anything else that came along since the early 80's as they provide complete control of the entire manual process.

My GraLab timers are still in service though; for timing a toning process, print washing, and dry mounting, among others.
    "Pictures are not incidental frills to a text; they are essences of our distinctive way of knowing." Stephen J. Gould

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I don't mean to hijack the thread, but I have to ask - so the faint glow of light that this timer gives off when the room is dark does not negatively impact film development? (I'm speaking of development of LF film in trays)
    Macy
    Just trying to be the person my dogs think I am.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    No. It's fine from a few feet away.

I aspired to a Gralab 300 for years (this was pre-digital---back when that last wooly mammoth slide into the LaBrea tar pits) and finally got one several years ago. I love it! Its simple and so, I've been told, am I

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin