Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,485   Posts: 1,571,301   Online: 793

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks to all for your thoughts. I'll certainly try printing flipped and unflipped, and since there are no words in the background, flipped words is not a problem, though I hadn't even thought of it. FYI, I'm going to start another thread as to why I feel this particular negative needs to be flipped.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Can't really see a major problem with flipping from a technical standpoint. Having said that, I've never investigated it closely - I just don't expect any of significance.

Far more important from my point of view are aesthetic considerations. I do not normally flip images but there's a scan of one of my postcards in the Postcard Gallery (the blue toned one...) that was flipped because I think it reads better that way. But then, that print was clearly never intended to be a realistic representation of what was in front of the camera but a purely subjective interpretation.

Cheers, Bob.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    i do not flip my negs because it bothers my brain when i look at the photo....my brain just keeps reminding me "that is not what it looks like".

as for cropped images, i do not crop most of all my stuff. i would say i crop about 10%. most of my cropping comes from my travel street photography where the scene happens by quickly and i need to get ride of a distracting white car or something similar from the background.

eddie
    photoshop is somewhere you go to buy photo equipment.

lens photos here

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think sometimes a shooter want to flip a neg because thats the way the image looked on the GG when it was composed and shot. I sometimes have been tempted to do that but mostly I've started to look directly at the scene long enough to get the composition going before I duck under the darkcloth.
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    Medium Format
    David...good point on the documentary record, but I see this as more a portrait reflecting a condition, and I want intensify what I perceive--probably to enhance the impact.

Catem...interesting argument. Here I have a reality, and I'm applying my art to enhance the connection. I'm not up on art theory, but I think that's what I'm doing.

Eddie...I crop just about everything I print--not necessarily a whole lot, sometimes just a tweak. Every time I look at a photo a second or more times (mine or others) I see something slightly different. That's probably a good reason for me to stay away from Photoshop--I'd never leave the image alone.

I'll be in the darkroom this week (wife willing). I'd love to post it (flipped and not), but my scanning/ computer skills are way worser than my photography.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    All my carbon prints are "flipped". I make "single-transfer" carbons which means the image is always flipped. I compose my images with this in mind...seeing the image already "flipped" on the ground glass makes it a bit easier.

My images tend to be landscapes on a more intimate scale compared to the "Grand Landscape", so usually the rocks, trees and creeks I photograph are rarely identifiable as a specific place. Though I have a nice carbon of Yosemite Falls, with tourists in front of me, and an interpretive sign on the right...but left in the print. You can read the sign with a magnifying class. Sort of a nice discovery if someone takes the time to look at the print.

What's right side up and upside down? Right and left? Our eyes build up images that are in the same orientation that we see on a view camera's ground glass. It is the software (our brain) that converts (flips) the images. In my case I know the software my brain is running on is pretty old and has a few bugs in it, more than likely. With all this flip-flopping around, I figure it doesn't make much difference which way it ends up.

I even have some negatives I both carbon print and platinum print. One is the mirror image of the other, but each has a very different feel...from the composition to the very different characteristics of the two processes. (at least the way I print them, anyway). Which one is orientated properly? Perhaps both are.

I don't remember ever printing/presenting an image upside down, though.

Vaughn

PS...I remember early in my use of view cameras, I had my head stuck under the darkcloth of a 4x5 for a long time. I distinctly remember taking the darkcloth off, straightening up and looking around me -- everything seemed to be upside down...most odd.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin