Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,549   Posts: 1,544,628   Online: 711

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: enlarger timer

Shooter
    35mm

enlarger timer

Hello, I am new.

I just set up my home darkroom. The only problem this far is that I do not have a darkroom timer. It is easy enough to use the print switch on the Omega Pro-Lab Time to turn on and off the light (the enlarger is plugged in to the clock). But, I would like to get a timer, so that the exposure time is a little more accurate and less of a bother. The cheapest one in town is:

http://www.henrys.com/webapp/wcs/sto...0&itemID=42177

Of course, I think I will hold out and try and get one on eBay. The only question I have is that will all timers (such as the one above) work with my enlarger. I have a Omega Chromega B Dichroic.

Thanks.

----------
    www.talz.ca

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Are you printing B&W or colour?

For B&W almost anything will work with a B series Omega. They don't use a lot of power.

For colour I'd look for a Colorstar 3000 or later analyzer.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I usually use a clock that ticks loudly once a second. It is easy to divide the secend into quarters for finer accuracy. This method is more convenient than a timer where dodging and burning is needed.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Time O Lites work well for enlarging, and they're cheap on ebay, but they don't make noise. There are fancier timers which produce a beep every second which, as Jim says, is helpful during burning and dodging when it is difficult to watch what you're doing, and the timer at the same time. Some folks use a metronome, I'm more of a timer person, and I count off seconds in my head when necessary for burning or dodging.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Here's the same timer as you mentioned on the auction site:

http://cgi.ebay.com/IC-ENLARGER-TIME...QQcmdZViewItem

Any electronic timer, and the mechanical Time-O-Lites will work with a Chromega B. You should already have a power supply and voltage regulater that comes with that enlarger. I have one - used it for decades with a Time-o-lite.

A little patience and something will come up on auction.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks everyone. I am printing black and white. I am gonna just watch e-bay to see what I can find.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    For a basic, starter timer look for a Gralab 450, 451, or 500. Should be able to pick one up for about $45. I don't like the Gralab 300 because you have to reset the timer each time so it is annoying for repetitive exposures. The old Time-O-Lite that I picked up was the same way and only goes up to 60 seconds. A Beseler digital timer should work well also.

For a step up, look at the Darkroom Automation timer advertised on this site for a lesser cost f-stop timer. My favorite is the RH Designs Stopclock Pro but that is some serious money for a timer.
    Jerold Harter MD

Here's a vote for the Gralab 300, but I'm a luddite. They're simple, rugged and cheap on the 'bay if you want a used one (and why not?)

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    Here's a vote for the Gralab 300, but I'm a luddite. They're simple, rugged and cheap on the 'bay if you want a used one (and why not?)
    The GraLab 400 is a 60 second timer w/auto reset - designed specifically for timing exposure - where a 300 is a 60 minute timer and would be best for timing development. They look almost identical. You really need (or should consider having) both.
    "Pictures are not incidental frills to a text; they are essences of our distinctive way of knowing." Stephen J. Gould

Shooter
    35mm
    I have a Gralab 505 and it works well. I don't think it's expensive used.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin