Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,689   Posts: 1,482,368   Online: 773

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Dave, I agree with you. Another interesting thing I have done (and occasionally still do) is to run a fibre based paper through a paper dryer without the heater on.

Very interesting way of accelerating the drying procedure.

I did for a while live in a house with a clothes washing machine that had a set of rollers on top for running clothes through. I used to run my test prints through that first, then hold the print in front of a radiator to dry. I didn't have a hair dryer and in fact I didn't know of anyone outside of a hairdresser owning a hair dryer at the time.

I ensured that the landlady never knew about the clothes roller being used that way!

Mick.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Mick and Dave:

Thanks for this information, it is very interesting.

All my prints are air dried. I'll have to try borrowing my wife's hair dryer .

I really do see a change when the PolyMax prints go from damp, to dry.

I have some Ilford MGIV RC in Pearl to try out, for when the PolyMax is finished. I'll have to experiment a bit, and see if the effect is similar, or distinctly different.

Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    For all those who recommend using a microwave to dry the print, do I assume correctly that this advice is for FB prints only?

For those of us who use more RC paper, is it even safe to use the microwave?

Matt
    Yes, the microwave is fine for FB prints, but not so good for RC prints. I use a hair dryer for RC. They dry quickly that way. The finish of some RC papers can suffer a small loss of quality if you run it too hot for too long, so I don't use it for final prints.

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by pauledell View Post
    Matt

You are probably correct about RC paper in a microwave. I might suggest using a portable hair dryer set at a lower heat setting for RC paper. That
    seems to work for examinig the print. Again, I would not recommend it for
    final prints.

Paul
    AA talked about how wonderful the microwave was for quick drying test strips in his book THE PRINT (or it was 40 PHOTOGRAPHS, I can't remember which book). He said one photo he printed for many years was finally printed to his satisfaction after much trial and error, making small adjustments, using a microwave for quick results. I believe the only problem with RC prints would be the curl.... which wouldn't matter if you're only drying test strips. I only print FB, so I can't offer anything more.

A hair dryer set on low sounds like a good alternative - when you heat a print in a press, it's similar - RC (plastic) prints are more easily damaged by excessive heat.

Regards, Paul
    "Pictures are not incidental frills to a text; they are essences of our distinctive way of knowing." Stephen J. Gould

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I print RC exclusively, and air-dry. The drydown is substantial on all of them, and similar to the percentages quoted here for fiber - 5-10 percent. Unfortunately, if the test print is right on the minimum exposure for good shadows, decreasing exposure to compensate for drydown will yield a print that doesn't reach Dmax. It seems to me the proper way to adjust for drydown is really to raise contrast to make the highlights lighter, not reduce overall exposure.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    You know, the one and only time I went to the microwave with a test strip was with Ektalure, since supply was limited and and trial/error was out of the question. After about six seconds, I heard snap-crackle-pop from the microwave and I shut it off. Was this from too much power, or the cadmium in the emulsion?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich Ullsmith View Post
    You know, the one and only time I went to the microwave with a test strip was with Ektalure, since supply was limited and and trial/error was out of the question. After about six seconds, I heard snap-crackle-pop from the microwave and I shut it off. Was this from too much power, or the cadmium in the emulsion?
    Probably the conductive silver in the emulsion. I occasionally dry test strips of film in the microwave, and sometimes get arcing in dense areas. Overdeveloped film can cause quite a bit of crackling!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin