Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,860   Posts: 1,583,137   Online: 849

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Drydown reference

Wondering if anybody knows if there's a reference out there, somewhere, that gives drydown compensation for fiber papers. You'd think they'd have it on the data sheets, but I have never seen it. I don't work with any one paper long enough to really fine tune it, so I generally just dial in 5%. It would be nice to see a compilation from folks who get to know a paper particularly well, something like the developing times on unblinkingeye.com. If anybody knows if such a list exists, I'd love to hear about it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Bruce Barlow did an excellent series of tests on paper/developer combinations and some drydown information here:

http://www.circleofthesunproductions...artIII_000.pdf

He uses Dextol for the tests. There are three pdf files of the tests.

I hope it helps.

--John

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Rich, fibre papers can dry down as much as 11%. I have tested every paper that I have used for the past 20 years and have found drydown can vary from 8% to as high as 11%. The test is easily done and takes about 2 hours and I would recommend that you carry out your own test. I published an article on how to calculate the drydown for fibre papers here on APUG some time ago.
    "Digital circuits are made from analogue parts"
    Fourtune Cookie-Brooklyn May 2006

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Here's the article Les is talking about;

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum216/...-dry-down.html

A simple test that pays huge dividends. I buy my paper several times a year and test every new batch, just in case it's been 'improved'. The excess gets popped in the freezer for later use.

Murray
    Last edited by MurrayMinchin; 08-22-2007 at 07:24 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Yes! thanks a bunch, folks.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    And thanks for your work, Les. I'm putting a copy of that down in the darkroom.

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Drydown reference

Rich:
    Ever try zapping the wet print in a microwave for maybe 20 seconds, just
    enough to dry it substantially. This is not for the final print but it might give
    you an idea what effect drydown will have.

Paul

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For all those who recommend using a microwave to dry the print, do I assume correctly that this advice is for FB prints only?

For those of us who use more RC paper, is it even safe to use the microwave?

Matt

I think it's worth pointing out that factoring in dry down is not a guaranteed way to make prints with glowing highlights. After all, anyone can subtract 10percent off the final print time. Even I can do it and I'm hopeless at maths!
    The real difficulty is to decide in the first place what that final print time will be. This requires real judgement. You need to be able to decide just what you want the finished print to look like,and be aware of other factors such as the strength of the dakroom viewing light. Even varying the viewing distance can change the look of the print.
    Hands up everyone who factors in dry down but still ends up with prints that are too dark.
    (you can't see it but my hand is up!)

Alan Clark

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Drydown reference

Matt

You are probably correct about RC paper in a microwave. I might suggest using a portable hair dryer set at a lower heat setting for RC paper. That
    seems to work for examinig the print. Again, I would not recommend it for
    final prints.

Paul

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin