Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,901   Posts: 1,584,442   Online: 942

Shooter
    Pinhole

10" Enlarging Ektanon mag. range

Hello:

I'm starting to get familiar with intended range of enlargement on various enlarging lenses, by virtue of the charts comparing Rodagon & Rodagon-G lenses.

Anyone know what the normal range of use is for a 10" Enlarging Ektanon?

While it seems short, especially as it's supposed to be a close-optimized Tessar, I'm told it was a standard lens on someone's 8x10 enlarger. Seems like it would be better for 5x7...

Murray
    Murray

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A 10 inch lens is a little more than 250mm, and that's considered a "normal" lens for 8x10. Why do you think it is more suitable for 5x7? The image circle should be plenty for 8x10. Tessars are not known for their exceptional covering power, but there are no movements (rise, fall, or shift) to contend with and the lens is not intended to be used at infinity focus.

Shooter
    Pinhole
    I'm used to thinking 300+ mm for 8x10...with f.l. being compared to diagonal of image. Good point on the non-infinity use...I forgot about that.

So my remaining question is what range of magnification should it be best limited to?

Thanks
    Murray

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin