Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,677   Posts: 1,482,037   Online: 832

Shooter
    Medium Format

multigrade filters how lomg do they last?

I understand that above the lens filters for VC printing do not last forever I have a set of Ilford filters I have been using for over 2 years now when should I be thinking about replacing them?
    thanks
    Richard

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Depends on how funky they get from use, and how long they are truly exposed to light. As long as the are clean, they should last much longer than 2 years.

Since you like in England, why not call Ilford, as for technical support, and learn if they've done any testing on how their VC filters age. If you get a good answer, please share it here.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Dear Richard,

Pinholemaster is correct, it depends how you look after them, handle them carefully by the edges not between your fingers, never handle with wet / damp hands, never leave them on the darkroom bench, always return them to the packet after use, store them in a clean area not exposed to large temperature fluctuations, after that its a 'how much you use them calculation' obviously grades 2 to 3 get used the most, we would say for the average user they should easily last 3 years or more, I would personally replace after 5 years of use.

Simon ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited .

Shooter
    Medium Format
    many thanks for your help sounds like I have a couple more years of careful use.
    Richard

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin