Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,550   Posts: 1,573,077   Online: 803

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Enlarger advice

Shooter
    Multi Format
    "Larry Bartlett's book doesn't recommend them for B&W work with VC papers and suggests an enlarger with filters or a VC head, yet others seem to recommend the color heads."

Just be glad you don't live with this guy. Believe me, someone like that will drive you nuts.

But seriously, there is absolutely no reason not to use the Chromega II for B&W work. It may not be as handy as a VC head, but once you figure out the settings and exposure compensation, it's a heck of a lot easier than switching filters out.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    As mentioned above, only a multigrade head reads out directly in paper grades, but it is easy to get used to dialing in yellow or magenta. The only major drawback of a dichroic head for b+w is that you will probably find its grade range is something like 0.75 to 4.25 compared with a multigrade, it's your decision whether this is important (you might want to have a true grade 5 if you're a fan of split-grading.

Regards,

David

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PVia View Post
    Thanks everyone...great advice, very helpful.

One other thing, I know that many folks use an 80mm rather than a 105mm lens for enlarging 6x7 negatives. What would you say is the largest you can print with the 80mm until you start to see light falloff?

Thanks!
    I'm not sure that I completly understand your question.
    The focal length of the lens is not a factor in light fall of, I think that would be more to do with lens quality. If you are thinking of its ability to provide coverage of a 6x7 negative then I confirm this size is ok.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by PVia View Post
    Thanks everyone...great advice, very helpful.

One other thing, I know that many folks use an 80mm rather than a 105mm lens for enlarging 6x7 negatives. What would you say is the largest you can print with the 80mm until you start to see light falloff?

Thanks!
    I initially used a Rodagon 80 that worked surprisingly well on 6X7 when I first started the format. I used it at ƒ8-ƒ11 usually, so that may have helped in coverage? Like Konical, I settled on a 90 that has become my favorite and is used for 645 successfully, too. The only time the 80 is on the machine is when I need extreme head height for extreme cropping. With good, solid optics going for fire sale prices, you might want to get a few things and cull what you decide you don't need. A decent Componon S, Rodagon or Nikkor in this focal length range would satisfy most people as far as general performance and sharpness are concerned and are available used at about 10% of new prices currently.
    Craig Schroeder

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've used my 80mm Schneider Componon S with 6x7 negatives without any problems. I stop down to either f/8 or f/11 as well and coverage is fine. The manufacturer rates the lens to cover only 6x6, but they're being very conservative. The 80mm EL-Nikkor is rated to cover up to 6x7 by the manufacturer, and I'd be surprised if the designs are substantially different.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've used my 80mm Schneider Componon S with 6x7 negatives without any problems. I stop down to either f/8 or f/11 as well and coverage is fine. The manufacturer rates the lens to cover only 6x6, but I think they're being very conservative. The 80mm EL-Nikkor is rated to cover up to 6x7 by the manufacturer, and I'd be surprised if the designs are substantially different.

Shooter
    35mm
    I am one who prefers to use color heads for B&W printing, but everybody has an opinion, and most of them are right. Allot of it has to do with what you are used to. If you can get a good deal than do it. You can still set it to "white" light and use contrast filters, or you can learn to dial the contrast, or you can do split grade printing, where you print the contrast in two parts, using yellow and magenta exposures separately, which how I prefer to print. All three methods attempt to arrive at the same end, they just take different approaches. Try them all, and see what blows your skirt up.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I don't like dichro heads because when I split print I have bumped the head when swiching grades and the second exposure was out of alignment. I like my vcce head or just using filters but many others swear by dichro heads. If you have a dichro you can still kick the filters out and use below the lens filters.
    DIGITAL IS FOR THOSE AFRAID OF THE DARK.

tac

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I've used several different 80mm enlarging lenses for 6x7 for years, no problems. I've used a dichroic color head for printing B/W VC and for graded paper, as well as RA-4; I don't recall ever using grades 0 or 5, and only use 1 or 4 for burning, so I can't really speak to that aspect.

I never saw the sense in buying a several hundred dollar enlarging lens, then putting cheap acetate filters in the light path between the lens and the paper, but I guess it works.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin