Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,971   Posts: 1,523,550   Online: 778

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

So, I bought an Omega D5...need help!

Hi all...and thanks for all the responses on my other thread.

I picked up an Omega D5 today with the Super Omega Dichroic II color head. Had to take it off the baseboard to fit in my car. When I got it home, I decided to put it in the garage until I have a chance to set it up, and when I laid the chassis down on its side, I accidentally loosened the carriage lock and the enlarger column skittered so that the color head holder/bellows/neg stage is now at the top of the column. I guess the springs reacted to the loosening of the carriage lock.

I stood the enlarger column up (remember, it's not attached to the baseboard at this point), loosened the carriage lock and tried to crank it down, but it wouldn't move. The gears on the back of the column are fine and not stripped.

Did I create a major problem or is there something I'm not doing correctly? Should I attach the baseboard and try it that way?

This is the first enlarger I've owned and want to make sure I don't make any (more) mistakes.

Thanks in advance, all...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I haven't had this happen, so can't comment helpfully on the problem itself.

However, if you contact Harry Taylor at http://www.classic-enlargers.com/ , he can most certainly help. He specializes in Omega D series enlargers.

Lee

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PVia View Post

Did I create a major problem or is there something I'm not doing correctly? Should I attach the baseboard and try it that way?

Thanks in advance, all...
    Maybe you created a problem, just maybe. I would set it up on its' baseboard and see if you created a problem first.

It may be the assembly is wrenched or caught by the spring tension and a little TLC will let you lower it. But don't try and wrestle it around without setting it up.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I'm not familiar with the Omega series, but I think my Durst L1200 is about the same. In my case, once the carriage goes up, it must have some weight on the top, like the color head, before you can move it back down. My suggestion is to set it up on the baseboard and replace the head, then try and crank it down.
    —Eric

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    After reading a few different threads here and there, I DO notice that the springs have not retracted into their housing, which I surmise is a big no-no! There are probably at least 6-7 inches of spring from the top of the column to the spring housing...

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    What probably is needed is just to pull the head a little forward...there is a lip it can get caught on...then try to crank it down. I maintain a bank of these things, so I will check one tomorrow at work just to be sure.

Store the enlarger with the head towards the top -- not all the way down. This reduces the stress on those springs ($35 each last I checked). I had a professor that wanted them stored all the way down (to make it easier for the students to reach). After having many springs break (back when they were only $25), we now keep them at about the 50 mark.

Vaughn

Shooter
    35mm
    I've had the same thing happen, although it's never jammed on me. The springs are quite strong, so even with the column vertical I still have to put one hand on top of the head and push down while turning the crank. And I have partially stripped the gears, so you do have to be careful.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Wow, thanks everyone...I'll report back after I try a few things tomorrow!

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I just check a D5XL enlarger column I have stashed and guess what, I could not lower the head carriage. Right above the springs are two free-spinning wheels that help keep the carriage properly running up and down. They had shifted over towards the center and caused the carriage to be too close to the column. These wheels need to be pushed over to the outside to allow the carriage to move forward enough to miss the top of the column.

Good luck!

Vaughn

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'll check that tomorrow, Vaughn...thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin