Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,223   Posts: 1,532,487   Online: 1065

Shooter
    35mm

Adapting Ilford MG500-head to a Durst L1000?

Hi!
    Is there someone out there who can give me a hint on how to put an Ilford MG500 enlarger head on a Durst L1000 enlarger. There used to be adapters for MG500 made for many different enlargers but they seems practically impossible to find. Probably they are either already used on an enlarger or has been thrown away.
    Can you manufacture it yourself?
    Any tip on this subject would be appreciated.

Anders L.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You might be able to find some information in the Ilford user manual links.
    If not, try contacting Ilford directly.
    http://www.ilfordphoto.com/products/page.asp?n=161

Shooter
    Large Format
    Hi !
    I own a L1000 and I've read that this MG500 was offered for the 1000.
    So, I'm pretty sure you won't find an adapter ready made, as these should be as scare as hen's teeth.
    But you may have luck if you find a picture and maybe a drawing from Ilford.
    The mixing box output surface should be close to the negative stage, as is the Taucoli or CLS450 mixing box output.
    If you are lucky enough, you may use the 4 hanging pins protruding from the carrier which are devised to hold the condenser head or the Taucoli.
    The tricky part will be to find a contractor able to make the sheet metal in the correct shape at a reasonable price ....

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    As shown in the image, the MG500 head is attached to the enlarger using an aluminium plate with holes that match up with screw holes in the enlarger below and the head above. So, if you are reasonably handy, it should be fairly simple to make.

The image is for a Beseler 4x5 enlarger, but should be fairly similar for a Durst enlarger.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IlfordAdaptor.jpg  

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks to all of you!
    Keith, I`ve contacted Ilford and they where very kind but they couldn`t help me. They didn`t have the part or even a drawing or a photo.
    Georges, I understand (from Ilford) that the light mixing box shall protrude 14 mm from under the base of the head (different drop for different enlargers) just as you suggest.
    Andrew, thank you for the picture. I`ve imagined it somewhat like that and I agree, it shouldn`t be too difficult to make one.

Anders L.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Anders,
    I've just checked my CLS450 head and you're right the white perspex of the diffusion box is near 14 mm out of the mounting surface of the head.
    This impose the use of a TAUNEG neg carrier instead of an OTONEG (be it model I or II) because the OTONEG has a ridge running on the large side of it, at the rear which will block movement when touching the protruding mixing box. The TAUNEG use a different glass fixation and does not have the ridge.
    I own a modified OTONEG where this ridge has been cut off and filled. IT has been done poorly but the neg. carrier is still functional.
    On the other hand, the TAUCOLI cold light head does not protrude into the neg carrier stage. So one can use the OTONEG with the TAUCOLI.
    IMHO, if you only own an OTONEG, you should make a mock up using cardboard or perspex with the surface of the mixing box just flush with the negative stage and see how it comes.... I wonder if it will make any difference (except for light leask you would have to seal)

Shooter
    35mm
    Hi Georges!
    Thank you for your advice. I`ve got the TAUNEG.
    And what`s more, I just got fitting instructions for the adaptor kit from the swedish Ilford retailer who found it in his archive and it includes very good pictures of the adapter. I really didn`t think that would happen. The only thing missing is the actual measurements of the adapter plate and spacers.

So if anyone is looking for something like this I would be happy to share them with you.

BTW, is there anyone who could share a photo of the light mixing boxes with me?

Anders L.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin