Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,549   Posts: 1,544,659   Online: 804

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Hm So you could change the situation by just doing single filtration instead of double... I don't find the exposure times change that much, maybe a few seconds per "grade" of added magenta. I print as grade 5 loads, not so much on anything below grade2...
    ~Heather
    oooh shiny!
    http://www.stargazy.org/

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The thing that puzzles me is when reading about other people's printing they often say things like 'I made a test print at 10 seconds, f8'. Even with no filtration on in my enlarger there is no way I will ever get down to 10 seconds even at f4. Not that this is a terrible problem, I'm just curious...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Just for the record I have solved the problem. I replaced the bulb and now I have very short times much like the ones I read about. Now I can get less than 10 seconds with f5.6.

The bulb was very dirty and obviously old. I didn't realise that these halogen lamps could deteriorate so much without actually blowing.
    Mark Tomlinson
    Currently using Bronica RF645+65mm, Leica M6, Bessa R2a, Nokton LTM 50/1.5, Zeiss Biogon ZM 35/2.8, Nikon 35mm SLRs.
    Join the lith printing forum at http://www.lithprinting.net/

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mrtoml View Post
    J

The bulb was very dirty and obviously old. I didn't realise that these halogen lamps could deteriorate so much without actually blowing.
    They can, and as you found do. One factor to look at is the condition of the lamp socket, this also deteriorates and is worth replacing periodically, say every second lamp. Both the current flow and heat produced are high, which means the contact life can be short. When corrosion sets in the electrical resistance goes up, and illumination down as the current flow is restricted.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Miller View Post
    They can, and as you found do. One factor to look at is the condition of the lamp socket, this also deteriorates and is worth replacing periodically, say every second lamp. Both the current flow and heat produced are high, which means the contact life can be short. When corrosion sets in the electrical resistance goes up, and illumination down as the current flow is restricted.
    Thanks for that info. I noticed that the socket looks a bit iffy. It took a bit of wiggling to get the bulb to come on. I presumed because of dirty contacts inside the socket. I will look into getting a new socket now too.
    Mark Tomlinson
    Currently using Bronica RF645+65mm, Leica M6, Bessa R2a, Nokton LTM 50/1.5, Zeiss Biogon ZM 35/2.8, Nikon 35mm SLRs.
    Join the lith printing forum at http://www.lithprinting.net/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin