Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,769   Posts: 1,484,208   Online: 846

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Images
    Just wondering if people here tend to print say 5 prints of a negative in a size at a single time, or just do one or two and be happy with it. I have been trying to print 5 copies once I get a "finished" print, but the storage and finishing time has become a bit of a problem. The reason I was trying to print extra copies was to be ready in case someone wants to buy a copy of a print. What do you think?
    hi!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I don't believe in trying to fit all my pictures into standard sizes such as 8x10, 11x14 etc. I know this isn't your original question but I'm getting to it. What I do is print an 8x10 and then decide which print size best represents my pre-visualization of the scene. If you take the same picture and make a series of prints 8x10, 11x14, 16x20, 20x30 etc you will find that one size seems to jump out at you and that is the ONLY size that neg should be printed to. The optimum size also doesn't have to fit one of these traditional sizes either.

Now for your question, do I print series of prints? No. I don't because if they are paying for a custom print, which is the only thing I do, then if you walk to back room and grab one off the shelf it just doesn't seem to have the same cache as one they have to wait a week for. I print to fill orders and for shows.

I also don't believe in the "limited edition" crap either. Printing hundreds of copies of the same neg doesn't seem to have hurt Adams for Newton any.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    In the past few years i have been printing 10 prints of anything I am serious about. These are finished prints not work prints. I hate to go back and reprint and this just makes it easier. THen i always have something on hand for gifts, sale or what ever else.
    http://www.aclancyphotography.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    For me it depends on how good I think it is and what I might do with it. Usually I print in threes.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I usually print three. One i will record all applicable printing info on the back and have a transparency sleeve with dodging and burning info in grease pencil, and then two others for display. If it is something special I will print two more that go into two portfolios that I am compiling for my daughters.
    "Fundamentally I think we need to rediscover a non-ironic world"
    Robert Adams

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I generally only print one, unless someone already requested a copy. If people wanted to buy them, it would probably be a different story.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    When I print, I like to have enough copies for disaster in the dryer, toner catastrophy and matting malady- I am also inclined to print several sizes - one group for the wall, one group for one portfolio ... etc. I prefer to let someone chose the image they want for sale. What I find cool is not usually what folks want to pay me for. Sold prints are almost always a separate session. Again - a few extras to choose from - lighter darker disaster ... what ever.
    Frank
    My photos are always without all that distracting color ...

For me, an initial printing of 5 tends to be the norm for a new image(excluding the 'pilot' print). As per other users, I then increase production (in 5's) according to demand.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin