Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,535,812   Online: 715

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Equal White Borders

These past few weeks I've been printing photos for the first time. I'm having trouble with creating equal white borders around the photo. There is always one side that is wider than the other side. I've been using 8x10 paper and setting my easel 7 1/2 x 9 1/2. Does anyone have any tips on centering the paper on the easel so there is equal size borders?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Normally, the easel has stops or a groove or edges for positioning the paper. What sort of easel do you have? Maybe someone who has the same type of easel can make some suggestions.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    35mm
    I don't really know. It's not really my easel, but my school's. The easel looks almost like this...

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I have a saunders easel as well. The problem is that the slot is a little wider than your paper. If you push your paper right up against the edge of the slot, you will get uneven borders. You need to try and center the paper in the slot.

Shooter
    Multi Format

print centering

Quote Originally Posted by dslater View Post
    I have a saunders easel as well. The problem is that the slot is a little wider than your paper. If you push your paper right up against the edge of the slot, you will get uneven borders. You need to try and center the paper in the slot.
    I have been using my Saunders for more years than I care to remember. When it was new, I believe it came with a small spacer that was inserted into the left-hand side of the slot... and you placed the paper against that "filler" for centered prints. My "filler" has been missing since about a month after I got it so I now have a piece of reddish poster card on which I have drawn the outlines of my 'regular' print sizes. The card is placed to the left of the slot and the enlarger head moved to the closest approximation of the print area while final focussing is done on a scrap piece of double weight paper. The 'red' cardstock's second use is for any required edge or sky burning/dodging as required after the pilot print.

Ken
    Last edited by KenS; 10-16-2007 at 11:51 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: oops.... the wrong key came up and hit my fingertip
    Quando omni flunkus moritati (R. Green)

Shooter
    Large Format
    Hi !
    Sacrifice a sheet of paper, draw the exact dimension of the image on it,
    place that sheet on the easel and mark the position with a piece of duct tape to serve as a stop. Choose a duct tape color contrasting with the easel base, it will help under safelight lighting.
    This way you have a perfect mark stop for the exact sheet size you will use (each paper has a specific dimension making Ilford papers not exactly identical to Foma or Kentmere papers) then place the sheet on the easel in contact with the stop and enjoy printing.
    The duct tape is not thick enough to interfere with the easel's blades.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have an almost identical Saunders easel and the instructions for mine say to insert the paper in the slot and slide it fully to the left end of the slot.

I do this on my easel and my borders are always even.

hope this helps.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a Saunders also. I just slide it all the way to the left, then finesse the positions of the blades to make perfect. If you keep a piece of paper with perfect borders drawn on it, as someone suggested above, the final adjustments are simple and quick. And because you are sliding all the way to the left, it's consistent, unlike finding the "middle".

Shooter
    35mm
    Thank you everyone! I will try some of the ways you all suggested.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    g'day photo

keep it simple

use thin black card, cut a hole for the image size, lay this over the enlarging paper with a small weight on each corner

you don't even need a bladed easel, just a flat board with a corner

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin