Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,753   Posts: 1,515,919   Online: 1065

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format

RH Designs Analyzer settings for Maco Multibrom F paper

Helo all,

I'm going to try another paper, Efke Varicon VC Fb, basically the same than Maco Multibrom F paper. I use a RH Design Analyzer and must calibrate it for this new paper.

Does anyone have the settings for this paper and want to share them?

Thanks in advance
    Alfonso

Shooter
    Large Format
    Hi Alfonso !
    To get started, you've to find the data sheet for the paper you will use.
    Look at the speed and do a comparison with the Ilford MGIV which is standard in the analyser.
    Insert te speed difference between the new paper and this MGIV converted to fraction of stops (1/12th if I remeber corectly).
    Next, find the ISO-R values for the new paper and enter them into the contrast values for the channel you are calibrating.
    Et voila !
    You'll have quite good starting points, IF you use under the lens Ilford filters for contrast control because the Analyser is calibrated for this kind of filter set.
    Next, you will only have to refine the settings if you're not totally satisfied when printing.
    Hope this helps.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hi Georges,

Thanks a lot for the reply. I have found a table that shows, for each grade, the ISO Speed and ISO Range. It is something like this:

Grade Filter ISO-Speed ISO-Range
    0 0 P 50-64 R 150
    1 1 P 90-100 R 120

etc.

According Ilford MG IV FB datasheet:

Grade Filter ISO-Speed ISO-Range
    00 00 P 200 R 170
    0 0 P 200 R 150
    1 1 P 200 R 130 (this paper has a paper ISO speed of 200 up to Grade 3 and then ISO 100)

etc.

What do I have to convert to fraction of stops?

Well, I will look the manual and try to gess it.

Thanks again
    Alfonso

Shooter
    Large Format
    for grade 00 the paper is 50 speed and MGIV is 200 speed. 50 is 1/4 of 200 So there are 2 stops from 50 to 200. So you've to enter, IIRC, 24 steps into the exposure correction. With a plus sign as the new paper is less sensitive than the Ilford.
    For that grade you will next enter 150 for thecontrast value.
    And so on.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I think the text in my previous message has shifted to the left.

The first line of data for the Multibrom paper are for Grade 0, not for Grade 00 as in the Ilford paper. This means that there is no data for Grade 00 for the Multibrom paper.

What does IIRC mean?

And the Plus sign, where do I have to input that?

Sorry for the amount of questions but I don't have the instructions manual with me. I'm sure everything would be much more clear if I had it here.

Again Georges, thanks
    Alfonso

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by goros View Post
    Sorry for the amount of questions but I don't have the instructions manual with me. I'm sure everything would be much more clear if I had it here.
    Hi Alfonso

You can download the manual from our website here

Georges is exactly right about how to interpret the ISO(P) and ISO(R) figures - work out the difference in stops between the Ilford ISO(P) and that of your paper at each grade, and enter those figures in the exposure correction table in your Analyser. As your paper has a lower ISO(P) figure it means that it is slower, so more exposure is needed - in this case increase the exposure correction by the difference using the up arrow key.

A sequence of ISO(P) figures would be
    50, 64, 80, 100, 125, 150, 200 etc
    (just like the film speed setting on your camera)
    Each of these figures is a change of a third of a stop, which is 4 units of correction on your Analyser. At grade 1 for example, Ilford is 200 ISO(P) and your paper is 100 - difference three thirds of a stop, or 12 units of correction.

The ISO(R) contrast figures are entered directly so for example at grade 1, the Ilford paper has an ISO(R) of 130 and your paper is 120, so just reduce the existing 130 figure to 120 using the down arrow key.

Hope that helps!
    Regards,
    Richard.

RH Designs - My Photography

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks Richard. I'll let you know.

Cheers
    Alfonso

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Reading the Analyzer instructions I saw that the reference paper settings are for a difusser enlarger. I have a Kaiser condenser enlarger, so I have to calibrate the Analyzer for the papers I'm using.

What would the right procedure be? Calibrate for Ilford MG IV RC as reference paper again and correct the ISO-P or do it individually for each paper?

Thanks in advance
    Alfonso

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by goros View Post
    Reading the Analyzer instructions I saw that the reference paper settings are for a difusser enlarger. I have a Kaiser condenser enlarger, so I have to calibrate the Analyzer for the papers I'm using.

What would the right procedure be? Calibrate for Ilford MG IV RC as reference paper again and correct the ISO-P or do it individually for each paper?

Thanks in advance
    Best to do each paper individually. That way you take into account every variable (and there are many!).
    Regards,
    Richard.

RH Designs - My Photography

Shooter
    Large Format
    Alfonso,
    My enlarger is a Durst Laborator 1000 with condensers.
    When I go for a new paper, I enter the data from the spec sheets as explained above.
    And it's pretty close to the correct values (I use under the lens filters as does Richard when calibration the Analyser).
    So you may get started just entering the theoretical values...
    BTW, IIRC means If I Recall Corectly ;-)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin