Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,842   Posts: 1,582,633   Online: 1049

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    3 C's: Complete Creative Control... And beside that, it's just darn fun!

" Be happy. Take a silver break today !!!"
    MP_Wayne

It's not only funner than letting a lab do the work, but I also feel like I have a relationship with each print that goes far beyond merely having taken the photo. It must be sort of like the difference between having sex and giving birth

Shooter
    35mm
    I see

Shooter
    Pinhole
    While I'm technically not an alternative process person, I mainly work with silver gelatin paper negatives, exposed in pinhole cameras or adapted optics on LF cameras; then I contact print these. This is too specialized of a process to trust to anyone else, and there's an iterative sense about the process that requires me to alternate between pinhole camera exposures, paper negative processing and contact printing.

Also, the only good lab in my town that still prints on silver only uses one type of paper, and they refuse suggestions to try others. And they won't selenium tone their work; and if they did, they wouldn't know how far I want the toning to go (I like a split tone effect).

I'm sure a similar reason would be given by anyone doing alternative processes; in their case, there are no labs that do that kind of work.

Too, my darkroom is up and running (has been for almost 15 years), and it's just too fun to give up. Part of the reason I still like silver gelatin over silicon is the cost involved in getting a fine print. Traditional media is still way cheaper. Now, for E6 processing I always use a local lab: they specialize in E6, do a fine job, and I can't do it to the same quality or cost as them.

I also shoot B/W film and do enlargement printing; I can't see trusting this to anyone else.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's way more fun to do it yourself. It also gets me away from the computer.
    "Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once and a while, you might just miss it."
    Ferris Bueller

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bill View Post
    It's way more fun to do it yourself. It also gets me away from the computer.
    Hear! Hear! Anything to get away from "Billy's Box" !!!

MP_Wayne

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MP_Wayne View Post
    Hear! Hear! Anything to get away from "Billy's Box" !!!
    Sorry Uncle Bill... by Billy's box, I mean "Billy Gates" and his Microsnot "Billyware" that is a curse for well meaning people the world over. Just thought I would clarify...lest you think I was making some sort of derogatory comments about your box... (as I keep digging myself deeper in this hole)... sigh...

MP_Wayne

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    In my case, I think I enjoy the darkroom work as much, if not more, than making the negatives! I can't wait to try hand-printing colour.

- Justin

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Personally, I think doing you own lab work makes you a better photographer. You understand the relationships between tones and contrast, the effect of exposure on the final image, and the "post-visualization" process helps you greatly with the "pre-visualization" of your images at the time of shooting.

As others rightly point out, once your darkroom is set up (and that's not expensive nowadays with all the used equipment that is out there!), it is vastly cheaper to do your own work than to pay a lab to do it.

But, most of all, I find the darkroom work to be just as much fun -- maybe even more fun! -- than the actual shooting. It is enormously rewarding to have that private, quiet time to yourself where you think of nothing but your images. For me, it's almost like meditation. And I have no doubt that a pro lab would never give me the quality of final prints that I make myself unless I spent a fortune with them.

So, it all comes down to artistic development, costs, quality, and the fun factor.
    Michael McClellan
    Documentary Photographer
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    http://www.MichaelMcClellan.com

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by Evgeny View Post
    Hi,

What is advantage of printing in home vs good labs?

Thanks
    Evgeny
    Advantages will be clear when there is a good understanding about how variable the end results can be.

Color has more limitations (color balance, paper type - RC/plastic, and dynamic range) than monochrome, and no real advantage will be realized beyond money saved depending on how much your time is worth. Color transparencies have further limitations unless projecting them is considered to be advantageous. Monochrome, on the other hand, is more of an art form with many more options (advantages) in terms of permanence, paper quality, print tone, dynamic (contrast) range, print surface texture, and the hand colored option.

With monochrome creativity has relatively few limits (infinitely variable within the bounds of the medium) if you control the entire process.

This is my personal opinion based on my experience - I'm only an expert on my own opinion. I've been developing and printing my own work for more than 30 years as a professional and advanced hobbyist, both color and monochrome, though I've lately abandoned the color process, it really wasn't much fun. Monochrome work is so rewarding, I could never give it up.

Regards,
    Paul
    "Pictures are not incidental frills to a text; they are essences of our distinctive way of knowing." Stephen J. Gould

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin