Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,472   Posts: 1,570,968   Online: 808

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

What is advantage of printing in home vs good labs?

Hi,

What is advantage of printing in home vs good labs?

Thanks
    Evgeny

Datchet, Berkshire UK- about 20 miles west of London
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    I think you need to say whether you mean colour or B&W ?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    At home you can print for results that please you, as opposed to relying on someone else's interpretation.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I agree with Dave printing from home means if you have the skill and the tools you can print the image to your desired interpretation. However I feel with a good Pro lab you should be able to work with the printer one on one and discuss/work on an image together to achieve the result you wish.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You miss out on fun.

Ansgar

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Doing it by myself means, it's me who spoils or looses that important stuff.

In other words:
    If I am able to reflect on myself I should know my ability as well as my limitations. Do I know whether that lab does?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    It's a combination of time factor and personal satisfaction. While you can work with a lab and end up getting a great print, it will still be done THEIR way. Not a problem if you don't like fussing around in the darkroom and don't have a preference for paper and/or chemistry which may be non-standard. Even if I could be happy with the results I'd get from the lab, the time factor of having to drive to the lab, drop off the negative, come back at least a day later and review the first print, then repeat the process until we arrive at a finished print just isn't worth it. I can spend a single afternoon working in my darkroom, and figure out base exposure time, contrast, burning and dodging cycles, and if I'm truly efficient, I can even take care of toning. I can therefore arrive at a finished print in one or at most two days worth of work at home, whereas it would take me a week or more at the lab, and multiple side trips to drop off and pick up. With color, I consider this worthwhile because while I CAN do color at home, I choose not to. For black-and-white, absolutely not.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What about the price? Getting good results from the labs will end up tearing your wallet apart
    Kind regards
    Søren
    Send from my Electronic Data Management Device using TWOFingerTexting

Technology distinquishable from magic is insufficiently developed

Søren Nielsen
    Denmark

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Another factor is cost. When I started in photography commercially in the early 70's there was still a substantial trade discount for professional photographers (in the UK). This gave laboratories and professionals a competitive advantage.

Now amateurs & professionals/laboratories are paying pretty much the same prices for B&W paper so it is much cheaper to print your own images at home.

The economics with Colour printing are more evenly balanced.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    When I sometimes manage to visualize the print while pressing the shutter, it is great fun to feel that I controlled the whole process. The creation of the final print is the payback for me. I am sure using the services of a professional printer would create even better results. As would hiring a professional photographer! But that is not the point. I gave up trying to find rational reasons for having fun a long time ago.
    /matti

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin