Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,956   Posts: 1,586,046   Online: 787

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I am bidding on a Paterson RC washer as we speak . I didn't know they could be used for Fibre. I will look more into this. It might be a good intermediate step to FB papers without shelling out the extra on a dedicated washing system. I had looked at the Nova upright models which look like the way I would probably go.

I will try the magnet idea and if this doesn't solve the problem of the paper curl I will contact Ilford about it. I can always use the curly paper for contact sheets
    Mark Tomlinson

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    I'd always rationalized it as purely due to humidity level. Paper is always coated under a specific humidity level - so any environment with close to 100% humidity expands the gelatin - and pushes the paper flat or curls it 'outwards'. Dry environments correspondingly shrink the gelatin - and curl the paper 'inwards'. Maybe Simon Galley or one of the other manufacturing reps have a comment on this...?
    You are correct for fibre, but I thought we were discussing R/C paper here. Since the paper is encapsulated it shouldn't absorb much mosture.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Mark, considering Sparky's comment again, are you sure that the warm tone is R/C, and that you haven't got hold of W/T fibre paper. As Sparky says, I would expect fibre paper to have a curl, it normally does for the reason he gives.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Hi Dave. No it's definitely RC. I bought 2 100 sheet boxes at the same time last week (one normal and one WT). They both look and feel exactly the same apart from the curl on the WT. I am thinking I might be able to flatten the WT by taping up the black bag it is in and putting something heavy on top for a few days, but I don't want to accidentally fog the paper.
    Mark Tomlinson

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just a point about the archival washing systems ie: Nova etc.
    I was curious about their efficiency (always trying to find fault with everything me !) so I did a (very unscientific) test whereby I filled one of the washing slots with a dilute solution of coloured water. The washer was then set running so I could observe how long before the water ran clear. It seemed to take quite a long time which indicates that in the initial stages of the wash a FB print is 'stewing' in its own fixer laden water ?
    I think the newer models (Silverprint also make one) now have a complete dumping facility whereby this fixer rich water can be released by lifting an end gate.
    I often use the Paterson RC washing tray to wash FB prints if I only have a few to do. Its quite easy to tilt the tray on end to dump all the water if you need.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Good point Bill, but the water isn't "fixer laden" the print is. Washing is a misleading term, because fixer is removed by diffusion, or dilution rather than what we think of as washing in the conventional sense.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mrtoml View Post
    Hi Dave. No it's definitely RC. I bought 2 100 sheet boxes at the same time last week (one normal and one WT). They both look and feel exactly the same apart from the curl on the WT. I am thinking I might be able to flatten the WT by taping up the black bag it is in and putting something heavy on top for a few days, but I don't want to accidentally fog the paper.
    Provided the bag doesn't have any holes in it the method you propose may work. I would recommend you double bag for safety. It's a puzzle.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    35mm
    The very fact that no-one has said he has the same problems with RC WTpaper and I have never seen another thread on this curl problem, suggests that there may be an issue with your batch rather than a characteristic of RCWT and if so, Ilford would probably want to hear about it.

I'd endorse Dave Miller's suggestion to contact Simon Galley. You might be doing both yourself and Ilford a favour.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks. In that case I think I will contact SG.

I have uploaded my first enlarging and toning efforts to the gallery.

http://www.apug.org/gallery/showgall...00&ppuser=8180

If anyone has a chance to comment or give advice I would be grateful. I am quite pleased with them, but I know they could of course be better.
    Mark Tomlinson

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Mark, If you transfer your pictures to the Critique Gallery you will get far more comments than you will from your subscribers gallery. "Ruth" looks to be a fine character study by the way.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin