Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,982   Posts: 1,523,881   Online: 1088

Shooter
    35mm

Durst Unicon vs. Setobox

I have a Durst M700 B&W enlarger, which can handle up to 6x9cm negatives, but I only have the Unicon 50 condenser (for 35mm format), and want to be able to also print 6x6cm format. Ideally, there are Unicon 85 and Unicon 105 condensers, which, I believe, will both be suitable for 6x6.

Recently, I also saw some Durst boxes titled Setobox 69 and Setobox 66, which fit the M700 and look just like condensers, but, somehow, I think that these are to be used for colour printing - is this right? Are the Setobox boxes also usable for B&W, perhaps (I have no plans to start printing colour)?

Thanks for any feedback.

Shooter
    35mm

Unicon, Setobox, Sesibox

Dear Arcady !!

Actually you do have nearly a Durst M800, that one with the improved column...

The "mixing boxes" (is that the right term ?) setobox66-69 and sesibox66-69 are for using in conjunction with a color head only. They can be used for BW multigrade paper as well, but you need the fitting color head to change gradiation. This will be "CLS 70" (12 Volt/100Watt) or "CLS 80" (24Volt/250 Watt). Latter is preferable because of the better light yield.

If you wanna stay with the conventional bulb and condenser arrangement you should look out for the other condensors. The unicon 105 for 6x9 negatives and 105mm lens, or unicon 85 for 6x6 negatives and 80mm lens.

Regards,
    Stefan

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks, Stefan. I guess I'll keep looking for those Unicons. They are such rare beasts.

Shooter
    35mm
    High Agekin !!

The most rare one, the Unicon 50 is happily in your hands. The Unicon 105 is more common, because this was the standard equipment for the M700 / M800 enlargerers. Should be affordable for about 30 Euros / 40 Dollar on ebay with some patience...

Regards,
    Stefan

Shooter
    35mm
    Hi, Stefan:

Do you know whether I'll need a recessed lens plate to use an 80mm lens on an M700?

I currently have a regular (flat) Lapla 39 lens plate, and EL-Nikkor 50/2.8 as well as the EL-Nikkor 80/5.6. But I don't yet have the condenser or the film masks for 6x6 to try the 80mm lens.

Thanks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Arcady,

just wondering how you went/are going with your M700?

I recently picked up a fully equipped M700 with colour head here off ebay for a very small investment and last night I fired it up for the first time to print some 6x9 negs as a test run.

Today I am doing some trawling of the net to get more information on the various accessories and options for this enlarger to ensure I understand how to get the best from it.

If your original question posted above is still unanswered, I can can look through the various lenses and lens plates that I received with mine and try and answer for you.

Kind Regards
    Glenn
    Last edited by Glenn Mathison; 06-12-2009 at 05:51 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: spelling

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin